How Many ?

Options
How many days you work out in a week? What is your routine for each day (example: Mon arms, Tues core etc.)? And why do you chose that order to work out? How many breaks or days you take off from working out? And finally the most important question, how do you curb your appetite after workouts?

Answers

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    LIft 6 days a week M-S, alternating upper and lower body. Then some form of cardio later in the day and on Sundays. Not especially hungry after working out, thirsty though. Drink water or 0 Sugar Gatorade.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    2 days weights(full body), 2 days conditioning (sled push and pull, lateral ellipical, etc).

As far as hunger it depends on your goals.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Every other day:

Back + Chest
    Legs + Shoulder Press + Arms
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Four times a week, weightlifting and compound lifts, with accessories and mobility. Walk probably an hour every day with the dog. A really hard session actually decreases my appetite and for me the struggle is to eat properly after (I usually train in the evenings). But for the days I am ravenous I try to fill up on bulky stuff; a high fat diet isn’t great for my digestion so I eat a lot of veg and high fibre. So a big jacket spud or a massive plate of leafy veggies. Some days I am just hungry so I might go over 400-500 calories 🤷‍♂️ it happens.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    When I was trying to lose weight, I hit the gym 5 days per week, weekends off. M-W-F I lifted full body with a short (20 minute) cardio session after; Tu-Th I did longer (60 minute) cardio sessions. The choice of whether to do cardio or weights first is highly personal, with many saying do whichever you want better results in first while you are fresh, but I say always lift first because the risk of injury increases when tired.

I'm currently in a muscle-building phase, so I lift four times per week, with Mon-Thu dedicated to anything above the waist (chest, back, arms, shoulders) and Tue-Fri for below the waist (legs, abs). If I have a dedicated cardio session, it's on Wednesday at low intensity, but usually I just walk a couple miles each day and call it good.

Within a lifting session, regardless body parts worked, the general rule of thumb is to do the heaviest and/or most complex lifts early, and save the lighter work for later when tired. This helps lower risk of injury, as well as the added benefit that if you have to cut your workout short, you will have still done the lifts with the most benefit. So chest comes before shoulders which comes before arms, back before arms, large leg movements like squat before small-muscle moves like calf extensions, etc.

I carry a premixed protein shake to the gym to chug as soon as a lifting session is complete, though I typically do not have increased hunger after cardio, just thirst for water.

The number of days off per week is highly personal, though most experts will agree that everybody outside of professional athletes should take at least one day off per week where you do nothing more intense than walk around the house, maybe do grocery shopping or walk the dog, that sort of thing. For people new to exercise, the commonly given advice is to start with no more than three exercise days per week, sometimes just twice, and over time work up from there.

If lifting weights, try to give at least two days between working the same body part: if you work chest Monday, do not touch chest again until Wednesday at the earliest. And be aware that some body parts are used in multiple workouts: triceps (the back of your upper arms) are used in both chest and shoulder movements, so a schedule of M-chest, T-shoulders, W-arms will not give your triceps a chance to rest and recover, which can lead to overuse soreness and injury.

Cardio can generally be ok to do every day, as long as you pay attention to fatigue levels.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    edited May 11
    Options
    I do a mix of things Monday through Saturday, and have begun using Sunday as a rest day.

The dog gets walked several miles throughout the day.

I have an unlimited yoga studio membership I use four or five times a week.

At my gym, I have a trainer a couple hours a week, gym sessions and cardio class twice a week, and swim laps and aquafit (fun time with my sweety) five days a week. I cluster these workouts so I can go straight from training or cardio into the pool.

If it rains, or I’m short on calories, I’ve got a recumbent bike as a backup plan, and if traveling, its convenient to simply run.

I pre-log, so meals and snacks are preplanned. If I need something to tide me over between workouts, I keep an emergency protein bar in my bag, along with a couple of 15-calorie ginger chews.

I’m usually not hungry after workouts, but I know that I need the fuel, so I eat anyway. I’m very careful about staggering protein throughout all meals and snacks.

OTOH, I have to be careful about eating before certain classes. There’s nothing worse than feeling urpy in the pool after a bowl of blueberries, or having something heavy that wants to come up during a hot power class.

My weakness is forgetting to drink more often. I usually drink 1-2 quarts by the time I leave for the gym and then it’s hit or miss after that. I need to work on that. I’m hesitant to drink before the pool for obvious reasons. 😬
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Currently on a cut

Weights 6 days per week
    Monday chest and triceps
    Tuesday shoulders and biceps
    Wednesday quad focused legs
    Thusday off
    Friday chest , shoulders
    Saturday hamstring focused legs
    Sunday back and biceps

Cardio 1 hour per day at a fast incline walk

I eat regular meals so 1.5 hours pre workout and 1.5 hours post workout, that way I’m fuelled for my workout and just getting hungry buy the time my next meal is due. I stay hydrated throughout the day as usually consume 1 litre of juice during exercise periods
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    7 days a week. One body part per day. So, shoulders, chest, biceps, back, triceps, quads, hamstrings in that order every week. Giving my body a full week to recover has done wonders for my joints and body. This getting old thing gets real after 50.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 123 Member
    edited May 13
    Options
    Generally, six days/week.

Alternating push/pull workouts with one leg day.
    Cardio M, F - typically 3 miles on the treadmill after I lift
    Sat - long-ish slow run.
    Sun - recovery

I usually workout fasted and have 1 scoop of whey protein when I'm done before I have breakfast - which is usually a few oz of granola and some sort of fruit (pineapple, bananas, cantaloupe, etc.).