Distractions and Boredom - How do you maintain your focus?

Options
Especially on weekends when social gathering includes eating out? How do you stay focused?

Answers

• Butterflywings24
    Butterflywings24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Choose wisely what I eat, order the cheapest thing on the menu and leave what I can’t eat and I don’t drink alcohol anymore no one has to know what you’re drinking my glass of vodka and lemonade is actually just diet lemonade 😁 no one is the wiser
  • Belacolina
    Belacolina Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is probably the one area I struggle most with. I just try to either think positively about making good choices of food or drink, or honestly sometimes the cheapest food options are the smallest and have the fewest calories in so I'm saving money and eating less.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,502 Member
    Options
    Some options I've used, some but not all of them currently (as I'm in maintenance now):

* Look at menus online ahead of time, and plan what I'll order, so it isn't an impulsive decision.

* Ask if the restaurant will do certain substitutions that reduce calories (dressing on the side, leave off a rich sauce, leave cheese or other high calorie add-in off, etc. It isn't always possible, but I've never gotten a rude reaction to a polite request. If they accommodate (and since I'm in the US), I make it a point to tip the server who helped me well).

* Skip the appetizers, or have a simple side salad as my appetizer and a nutrient-dense app as my main.

* Minimize alcohol, and make low-calorie choices if I do choose to drink it. (One thing I've done if I wanted a drink, didn't want to deal with comments from others if I didn't keep it up, was to start with something like vodka or gin with soda and a lime wedge, then quietly switch to soda and lime with no alcohol. (In extreme cases, it's a tactic to excuse myself to go the restroom, and make a deal with the server to switch without announcing it. Again, I tip well.)

* Ask for the sandwich without the bun, without the chips, without mayo, or whatever.

* If any of my companions make remarks, look at them like they have 3 heads, maybe ask why they care what I eat (or say I had a big meal earlier - whatever) and change the subject.

* With really close folks who won't be jerky (and sometimes otherwise) ask for a box up front and box half. Or - though it takes more willpower, not my greatest strength - eat only part, claim I'm full, and ask for a box at the end.

* Budget calories as an average over the week, then eat a little less on weekdays to have more calories on the weekend. (Or similar planning across a multiple-day lead up, if it isn't an every weekend thing.)

* Recognize that social connection is more the point than food/drink, and interact accordingly.

* Eat lighter for the rest of the day of the eating-out event.

* Fit in some extra activity that's fun on the day of the eating-out event, or the days before.

I don't like eating over-goal calories and trying to make up for it afterward, for myself. I'd eat a little less the day after if less hungry, otherwise just go back to my normal routine. YMMV, but for me, the post-event "make up for it" is more likely to turn into unproductive undereating that triggers overeating later. If I save the calories in the days beforehand, the eating-out event becomes the "overeating later" and is less likely to have downstream consequences.

That's all just me, though.