How do I calculate calories from Dal? It's mung bean stewed in tomato sauce

As the title states

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member
    Did you make it yourself? Input the ingredients as a Recipe, Meal, or even right in your diary.

If someone else made it, there are two options, either of which is an approximate estimate:

Guess at how much of the mung beans you ate, and how much tomato sauce (and maybe what was in the tomato sauce, especially if ghee or some other oil was added). Log those amounts of the ingredients.

Or

Look up Mung Dal (or Moong Dal?) in the food database, pick an entry that has middling to high calories, and log that, using a serving size/count that's approximately how much you ate.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,137 Member
    ideally, if you've cooked it yourself, you've weighed each ingredient before putting it into the pot.
    you then weight the end results of what you cooked.
    you then weight what you put in your plate and eat.

examples:

If you've used recipe builder you could save your "portions" per 1g or 10g or 100g, i.e. dal tomato 10g recipe 3500g total would be 350 portions. or dal tomato 100g recipe 3500g total would be 35 portions.

And when you eat you would calculate 3.5 portions or 35 portions for each 350g eaten.

If using dry dal, I would start with dry weight for ingredients.

highest calorie ingredients would be added fats, the dal, onion etc that might be added.

if someone else cooked I would look up "ready to eat" versions commercially prepared (ashoka, MRT, others) and weight what I am eating and called it a day. if it was quite rich as prepared I might add some oil or ghee depending on my eye balling, like 5g for example, or what have you.

I would not trust my "eye" for a cup measurement. But that's me.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 494 Member
    For a shortcut estimate, look for a brand of ready to eat dal called Tastybite.
    There's many varieties, and you'll see them on the MFP database.
    "Madras Lentils" is basically Dal Makhani