How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
I was wondering how often you weigh yourself? I weigh myself everyday (if not more than once a day) and have noticed that my weight fluctuates what seems like a lot. I started (re)tracking my weight again almost two weeks ago, and some days I am pounds lower than other days. How do I know if I actually lose weight, or if it's just fluctuating? Will I have to wait weeks and weeks to know if I have actually lost weight? 11 days ago I was 161.4, and today I am 158.8. A couple of days ago I weighed in at 157.8. I really haven't eaten a great deal more in the past couple of days, but it still says I gained a pound. I'm hoping I have actually lost weight and it not just being the fluctuation in body weight!

Would weighing myself once a week be more accurate if I have lost weight a lot? Am I just looking too much into something that is just going to fluctuate?

Thanks!!

Replies

• EsqDreams
    EsqDreams Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Once a week, every Saturday morning. The scale hates me so I don't visit it any more than that! :tongue:
  • imzadi481
    imzadi481 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Our weight varies daily due to different factors (water retention being one of them). I weigh myself once a week, sometimes two, but no more than that. In the past 30 days, I have only seen losses.

Maybe cutting back on how many times you weigh yourself would be less discouraging?
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day too, but usually do not fluctuate and only record Sunday mornings result. The rest of the week is to keep me on track with my eating. How is your sodium content? You may have water fluctuating.
  • MrSeriousguy
    Options
    Best not to weigh yourself daily since your body does fluctuate. Anything can cause that; water, rotation of the earth, phase of the Moon, etc. It's nerve racking and your setting yourself up to fail. I personally go by a week or 2 week and 1 month weigh in. It helps to see where I am at with my workout schedule, eating habits, stress levels. With Realistic goals, your going to have setbacks but always know you can get back on track and weigh in again later.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself regularly anymore. If I sense that I may have lost weight I'll weigh myself but that might only happen every couple of weeks or so. As exercise and eating at a reasonable calorie deficit have become a habit I am less tied to constantly checking for results.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every two weeks. If I do it any more than that, I get all crazy and scale obsessed.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Daily. BF %age, too. All goes into spreadsheet that tracks 5 and 7 day averages.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I don't. I don't even own a scale anymore :ohwell:
  • weightliftinggirl
    Options
    Okay, maybe I will start weighing myself less often, or at least just recording on Monday mornings! Hopefully that will help me!

And I looked up my sodium intake and it greatly varies day to day, that probably has a lot to do with the fluctuating weight!

Thank you!
  • brentalanrhodes
    brentalanrhodes Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and keep a journal of sorts. I think it's cool to see how different foods, water, exercise, sleep, etc. affect my weight.

As far as knowing when you're losing or gaining, you'll see the numbers begin to "hover" in either a higher or lower range. I'm like you, I can fluctuate 5-10 lbs in a days time. It's crazy
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. I don't obsess over it, though. I know there are fluctuations because of water, etc. For me, I'm just curious. I don't NEED to weigh myself. I only count my morning weight as correct also. We generally weigh more at the end of the day. But I don't really see/expect to see loss except once a week. It depends what your expectations are as to why you are weighing yourself.
  • brentalanrhodes
    brentalanrhodes Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I only count my morning weight as correct also.

x2
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Once a month.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Once a week...recording but daily to as to feedback on activity and food.
  • MissVamp13
    Options
    Hi :)
    I weigh every 11-14 days, as weighing daily got me too paranoid :/ When I feel like it i weigh weekly too
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I see weight loss results between the 28th and 10th of the months.. So i weigh more often during that period and take all i can get!
    When i dont weight I measure and take pics to see real progress!
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Weekly.
  • jamgirl19777
    Options
    I weigh every morning, whenever the scale moves up i go back into my diary and its usually from drinking15 cups of water that day and high sodium level, and the next day the scale usually goes back down. monday's are usually my weigh days to add my loss to MFP.
  • AshelieGovea
    AshelieGovea Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to weigh yourself at the same time of day every time you weigh yourself. For instance: My job has a scale in the kitchen. I weigh myself first thing Monday mornings. That is supposed to be the most accurate method of keeping track of your weight. Your weight fluctuates during the day because you eat and workout and burn calories etc. You are also supposed to weigh yourself naked...I won't be doing that at work...
  • jenna808
    jenna808 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Typically once a week, Friday morning just to see where I'm at, but I don't rely on the scale as my only factor, I like to use how I feel and how my clothes fit instead. My weight fluctuates a lot from morning to night, so I would recommend that if you are going to weigh yourself often to do it at the same time of day under the same conditions, such as right away in the morning with nothing to eat or drink yet.