Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Custom calorie/macro change on workout days

Options
Like plenty of people doing strength training, I change my calories and macros based on whether I’ve worked out that day - higher calories and carbs on workout days, lower calories and carbs with more fat on rest days.

At the moment the only alteration appears to be “calories burnt by cardio” which is quite an old-fashioned view of losing fat through exercise. I’d like an option to say - yes, I did strength training today - and my calorie target and macros change to a custom setting.
1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• Jean
    Jean Posts: 761 MFP Staff
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback! Our program currently calculates calories for exercises logged in our "Cardiovascular" section only. Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you like, you can search for the same or similar exercise in our "Cardiovascular" database. If you can not find the exercise, you can search for the exercise "Strength training" in the cardiovascular database, but please be aware that this is only a rough estimate, and can be fairly inaccurate.

If you know how many calories you have burned via a heart rate monitor or other tracking device, you can add a custom exercise to your personal database.

​Alternatively, we have recently added a new "Workout Routines" feature (only available on iPhone and Android devices set to English) that allows you to build a gym routine from a large database of both strength and cardiovascular exercise that converts strength exercises into a single workout that adds to your diary with a caloric burn.

To learn more about Workout Routines visit this article