Does anyone have tips on Keto?

Options
I have done Keto for about a week. Trying to keep my net carbs in range has been tough.
Tagged:

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    Do you have health conditions or health goals that lead you to pursue keto? I know that some people do. If the main goal is weight management, though, lower carb (like you're probably reaching now, on a guess) or even balanced macros can work for many people.

Wishing you success!
  • penguin_1234
    penguin_1234 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My tip is don't bother! It's shown to be not very good for women, and it is unsustainable for most people.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,777 Member
    edited May 20
    Options
    There is no magic to KETO it is not a shortcut to fat loss unless it causes you to take in fewer calories overall which for some, find the high fat content more satiating

Unless you can adapt KETO as a permanent diet it’s best to just use a carb inclusive diet. Those carbs can be low or higher, whichever works best for you however eliminating isn’t necessary.

Some people love KETO and stick with it past the fat loss stage and that’s a personal decision

If it’s for a certain health reason then that will be up to you
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    I have done Keto for about a week. Trying to keep my net carbs in range has been tough.

Eat more meat and add fats to the lean ones like Chicken breast. I have been doing Keto for more than a year at this point, and once I realized I was not eating enough meat, it became easy.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I should add, this message board is rather negative toward keto diets in my experience. Far more than say Vegan diets which in my opinion are far more problematic nutritionally than Keto. As for the sustainability comment above, losing weight in general is difficult to sustain. The shear number of people, myself included, who come back multiple times could make the argument that all attempts are weight loss should not be done because they are statistically unsustainable. I think that is hogwash. It is all about finding what works for you. All the best.

You will find more support in the Low Carb Group.
  • mae1658
    mae1658 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I eat Carnivore, which I guess is a more strict Keto. I feel better than I ever have eating this way. A lot of people ask about it being so restrictive, but I think the key is to change your mindset to be "This is what I can eat..." rather than, "I can't eat this, that, or this, or that...". That has really helped me with choosing what to eat. I can have meat from beef, chicken, pork, eggs, fish, shrimp, butter, and dairy (although I do limit dairy).
    I find most vegans/vegetarians try to make their food into things that are similar to what already exists, like vegan eggs, vegan cheese, vegan this and that, and some are like that on carnivore too, but I find it's best to just stick to simple foods and try not to make your food into something it isn't in order to make it like the Standard American Diet. Food is fuel, it doesn't always have to look pretty or be like someone else's food to be nourishing.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I should add, this message board is rather negative toward keto diets in my experience. Far more than say Vegan diets which in my opinion are far more problematic nutritionally than Keto. As for the sustainability comment above, losing weight in general is difficult to sustain. The shear number of people, myself included, who come back multiple times could make the argument that all attempts are weight loss should not be done because they are statistically unsustainable. I think that is hogwash. It is all about finding what works for you. All the best.

Do you know why these boards are down on keto? For the same reason they can be down on IF, on carb cycling, on apple cider vinegar, on waist beads - they do not equal weight loss. Yet people have been told they do, and then they are gutted when they waste money and effort and fail to lose weight. What does work? Reducing your calories. That’s it. But that won’t make me a millionaire.

OP - there are some v experienced keto-ers on the forum who have been doing it long term (as in years), and they might come along in a bit and offer their advice. For the most part they appear to be doing it for health reasons (keto was originally notes for the treatment of epilepsy but it also seems to help some autoimmune conditions). If you enjoy it then go for it. It won’t magically make you lose weight and - speaking personally - I like my carbs, so it isn’t for me. No harm in trying it, but just be aware if you do it purely as a diet to lose weight, you will likely put the weight back on when you go back to old habits. Successful weight loss is about lifestyle change I’m afraid.

Then it would be nice if they were as down on those who go Vegan. I have been doing keto over a year, and yes, the major motivation is health related. Having said that, for the years I used this site before that, I was a CICO IIMYM type of person. Keto works for me as a way of eating far better than that approach. Note I did write, "It is all about finding what works for you." I firmly believe that. However, the negative attitude in the Community, which I myself perpetuated before actually needing to go Keto for heath reasons, kept me from even trying it which I now regret as it is a way of eating that fits who I am and what my preferences are extremely well. That has moved me to a point where I am tired of the "it isn't sustainable" garbage which ignores how unsustainable all forms of diet changes can be for the vast majority of people. The huge number of "friends" I had here who have dropped out or lost, then gained, then lost, (repeat) tell the tale that one needs to find what works for them. Yes, CICO is what brings about weight loss. One's way of eating can be the make or break in terms of long term adherence, and being blanket critical of various ways of eating is a way to prevent people from even trying it.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    I’m not against keto if it’s what someone wants to try. And it is obvious that some are able to apparently do well long term with keto.
    No problem there.

I do have a huge problem with someone who is newly diagnosed diabetic or pre diabetic coming here and being told that keto is the only way, and that a doctor who prescribes the typical American Diabetes Association diet is committing malpractice.

I have seen that happen here.

Keto is one tool in the box. But it is medically contraindicated for people who have certain conditions, including liver disease, pancreatic issues, and some vascular/heart problems. It’s not a cure-all.

Which, to be fair, neither is a vegan or vegetarian diet…. Or the Mediterranean diet.. or any other diet.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options

Do you know why these boards are down on keto? For the same reason they can be down on IF, on carb cycling, on apple cider vinegar, on waist beads - they do not equal weight loss. Yet people have been told they do, and then they are gutted when they waste money and effort and fail to lose weight. What does work? Reducing your calories. That’s it. But that won’t make me a millionaire.

OP - there are some v experienced keto-ers on the forum who have been doing it long term (as in years), and they might come along in a bit and offer their advice. For the most part they appear to be doing it for health reasons (keto was originally notes for the treatment of epilepsy but it also seems to help some autoimmune conditions). If you enjoy it then go for it. It won’t magically make you lose weight and - speaking personally - I like my carbs, so it isn’t for me. No harm in trying it, but just be aware if you do it purely as a diet to lose weight, you will likely put the weight back on when you go back to old habits. Successful weight loss is about lifestyle change I’m afraid.

This!♡☆☆☆
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    Keto, like others have stated is not meant as a diet for lo g term weight loss.just because something gets you to loose weight is it healthy. Any plan should be about LIFESTYLE CHANGE! Whatever you do, however you decide to nourish your body( which is what our focus should be) do it mindfully. I am WFPB Vegan. I evolved into this lifestyle. It was a process of steps and its the best thing I have ever done. I did keto, high meat,low catb- you name it! Keto is NOT good for your heart, over time it can really ruin tour body. I am not saying this because of bias. But is cience based and experience based. I do not argue that maybe some people do better on a higher protein, carb or maybe fat ratio however long term is the goal snd many people start off that way and end up going back.
    Best advice is take solid lookay your food preferences, keep a journal and try to just stick to a list of particular foods that you love and feel best with. It does not have to fit into a box! Do what genuinely works for you. Weight food,balance nutrition and be whilistic and the body will follow. 🙌
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,992 Member
    Options
    It's always fun when vegans show up on a keto thread, it just reenforces the decision not to be one. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

Then it would be nice if they were as down on those who go Vegan. I have been doing keto over a year, and yes, the major motivation is health related. Having said that, for the years I used this site before that, I was a CICO IIMYM type of person. Keto works for me as a way of eating far better than that approach. Note I did write, "It is all about finding what works for you." I firmly believe that. However, the negative attitude in the Community, which I myself perpetuated before actually needing to go Keto for heath reasons, kept me from even trying it which I now regret as it is a way of eating that fits who I am and what my preferences are extremely well. That has moved me to a point where I am tired of the "it isn't sustainable" garbage which ignores how unsustainable all forms of diet changes can be for the vast majority of people. The huge number of "friends" I had here who have dropped out or lost, then gained, then lost, (repeat) tell the tale that one needs to find what works for them. Yes, CICO is what brings about weight loss. One's way of eating can be the make or break in terms of long term adherence, and being blanket critical of various ways of eating is a way to prevent people from even trying it.

What we all believe is subjective but for my part, I’ve seen just as much negativity towards people going vegan for weight loss. But the majority of people who go vegan appear to do so for moral reasons - and they aren’t likely to get jumped on by the CICO people for that 🤷‍♂️

I go back to what I said originally - long timers on here (including me) get fed up with newbies being taken advantage of by diet “hacks”, snake oil and profiteering influencers. We’ve all been there, we all hope times will change, and many of us will jump to try to correct misapprehensions which we ourselves held. I have no problems with anyone eating any way they want, but I will point out scientific fallacies if they arise.

Ps never been vegan but was a vegetarian for 14 years!

Right, I'll do my best to support ethical vegans, but don't support veganism purely for weight loss.
  • VegjoyP
    edited May 23
    Options
    For the record, I am indeed an ethical vegan who was a carnivore and have done keto. I did vegan keto. I was a very long time pescatarian but ONLY ate fish no dairy or eggs. Om not on here to talk vegan but strictly keto. Weather you are vegetarian, omnivore etc. It's rhe same, eat real food, lots of plants, avoid processed food, added sugar, saturated fats- trans fat. Polyunsaturated monounsaturated and omega 3 fats are the preferred sources. Expecially omega 3. Get fiber, get essential nutrients from all food groups. Count calories. That's key to sustainable weight loss in a more healthful way
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,992 Member
    edited May 23
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    It's always fun when vegans show up on a keto thread, it just reenforces the decision not to be one. :)

I'm not keto, or vegan, or IF, or IIFYM, and I show up on all the threads!
    Right, I'll do my best to support ethical vegans, but don't support veganism purely for weight loss @AnnPT77 is vegetarian and gives solid advice on every thread.

Or health. We are not herbivores.

As far as vegan goes, that's their decision, but I do have a problem when vegans raise their children from infancy on a strictly vegan diet, that's taking it too far imo. Also, vegetarianism is not veganism, there is a difference.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    Keto, like others have stated is not meant as a diet for lo g term weight loss.just because something gets you to loose weight is it healthy. Any plan should be about LIFESTYLE CHANGE! Whatever you do, however you decide to nourish your body( which is what our focus should be) do it mindfully. I am WFPB Vegan. I evolved into this lifestyle. It was a process of steps and its the best thing I have ever done. I did keto, high meat,low catb- you name it! Keto is NOT good for your heart, over time it can really ruin tour body. I am not saying this because of bias. But is cience based and experience based. I do not argue that maybe some people do better on a higher protein, carb or maybe fat ratio however long term is the goal snd many people start off that way and end up going back.
    Best advice is take solid lookay your food preferences, keep a journal and try to just stick to a list of particular foods that you love and feel best with. It does not have to fit into a box! Do what genuinely works for you. Weight food,balance nutrition and be whilistic and the body will follow. 🙌

Keto is a lifestyle change, just as much as going vegetarian or vegan. As to its supposed negative affects on the heart, I have yet to see randomized control trials or even a good epidemiological study that would support that. Any study I have seen that is used to support that sort of claim has carbs far higher than what would even remotely be called keto. This is not to mention that they are all epidemiological studies that depends on minimal data per subject based on food recall surveys. Thankfully, there are some more randomized control trials being done, but to claim that Keto is bad for that heart based on science is simply wrong. It may be. It may not be. In terms of health for many people, myself included, it has been the best choice I made. I see you say the same about being vegan, yet I can find many people who are former vegans who have nothing but bad things to say about how it affected their health. If it works for you, great, but to say Keto is not long term when there are people who have been eating that way for 20 plus year with none of the negatives you mention, well, that is just showing your comment is as biased as mine likely is because how you are eating is working for you as how I am eating is working for me.
  • MoniqueAnn30
    MoniqueAnn30 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with blueberries and coffee for breakfast - Creamer is heavy cream. Lunch eggs with onion, pepper and cheese. Some times I have a cucumber salad on the side. Snack mixed nuts, string cheese. Get your electrolytes in daily. Drink a lot of water (this will really help). Snacks can be premade bacon, string cheese, nuts, Chomps. Stay away from "keto" labeled things. This will throw your macros off. Out to eat, get protein and veggies. Low cal protein shakes and hard boiled eggs are also easy snacks.