Is it necessary to reach at least 1200 calories a day?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I have read several posts. But to be honest I'm actually scared to consume more calories and gain weight and now that I'm back in school I won't have that much time to exercise except maybe 2-3 times a week. I just needed reassurance that even though on the days I won't workout I should still consume at least 1200 cal.

I suggest you do some searching/reading to educate yourself a bit. I'm not trying to be an *kitten*, but you have a very unhealthy mindset about all this. There is a certain balance you should try to find between eating enough cals to be healhty and feel good and still losing weight. What you are doing may work in the short term, but you are setting youself up for trouble down the road. Very very very few people have good results long term with 1200 calories.
  • I was thin until I hit puberty then I started gaining weight. I've always ate healthy but my portions were probably larger, and rarely ate junk and almost never ate fast food.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    I was thin until I hit puberty then I started gaining weight. I've always ate healthy but my portions were probably larger, and rarely ate junk and almost never ate fast food.
    So you were able to eat 1200 cal before but can't now????
  • Yes, I definitely will. And no you don't sound like an *kitten*. I appreciate all your help. :)
  • I never logged before so I don't know exactly how much I used to consume.
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    YES !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    I have read several posts. But to be honest I'm actually scared to consume more calories and gain weight and now that I'm back in school I won't have that much time to exercise except maybe 2-3 times a week. I just needed reassurance that even though on the days I won't workout I should still consume at least 1200 cal.

Yes, you should. As a matter of fact, I'd guess you should actually be around 1300, without exercise. Look, from personal experience... I'm 5'1", was 113lbs when I started out, just wanted to lose the last bit of baby weight... Ate at 1200 calories (I have a desk job and rarely found time for the gym)... I lost all the weight in a month. 8 pounds down.. but I still looked about 3 months pregnant. Wtf? Had my body fat measured... It had increased in percentage. Even though I lost all the weight, I still looked the same. I had lost muscle mass. Not fat. Huge bummer! Raised my calories to 1450 and ate back my exercise calories. Gained a few pounds at first, but body fat went back down. Looked and felt a whole lot better. (Hello, almost flat tummy!) I love food. Food is not the enemy. If I stuck to 1200 for much longer, I'd have quit. Better to have a healthy relationship with food, and fuel your body. Now I'm at 1750, maintaining.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    My TDEE-20% is 2000cals per day. I exercise 3-5 times per week unless I have a fibromyalgia flare-up. I eat whatever I want in moderation making sure to keep to my food within calorie goals. I live an average if 1-2lbs per week. I'll be adding lifting to my exercise to lose fat% as soon as my book gets delivered.

You have to properly fuel your body to lose weight. Look up 'In place of a road map short n' sweet' in the forums to find your TDEE. You'll be much happier for it I think...good luck.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    I had the exact same problem as you, only I'm older. I was barely eating 1200 calories and exercising heavily. I stopped losing weight until I started eating more. Slowly add some more calories like others have said, healthy fats like oils, nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy, etc. You'll be surprised. BUT add the calories slowly, about 100 per day per week so you don't shock your body.

Figure out your TDEE and BMR. Go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

If you only have a little weight to lose set your goals at TDEE - 15% and don't eat back your exercise calories. Healthy weight loss is 0.5 - 1 lb/week unless you are very obese.

When I was in your shoes my hair started falling out and I felt horrible, no energy, grumpy all the time, I was miserable. Now I eat 2050 cal/day and am steadily losing, I have boundless energy and my hair is growing back.

Good luck.
  • jparks341
    jparks341 Posts: 216 Member
  • I was soooo off. My BMR is 1536 calories and my TDEE 2104.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I was soooo off. My BMR is 1536 calories and my TDEE 2104.

Those numbers sound very reasonable.
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Short answer... yes. There are longer answers. It's been covered EXTENSIVELY.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    1. Figure out your TDEE, Google it
    2. Eat 20% less than that.
    3. Lose weight.

Simple. :flowerforyou:
  • Do you know how I can add my TDEE onto fitnesspal?
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Search change calorie goal in the forums. Also, don't forget to subtract 15-20% from your TDEE.

With this method you don't eat back exercise calories. They're already accounted for. You can still log your exercise. Just log it as a burn of 1 calorie instead of what it normally is.
  • So basically I stick to eating 1683 calories (2104 -20%) regardless if I exercise or if I don't, correct?
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    So basically I stick to eating 1683 calories (2104 -20%) regardless if I exercise or if I don't, correct?

Yes, just as long as you're still getting in the amount of exercise as you set up TDEE with.
  • Okay then. Thank you all for your help! :smile:
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Look up 'In place of a road map short n' sweet' in the forums to find your TDEE.

This. ^

The 'road map' post is a revelation. I've been eating well and losing weight since calculating my TDEE.

If you alter the amount of exercise you're doing reguarly, remember to redo your TDEE.

Good luck! x