Just dropping in to say hello

Options
I'm James, Hello everyone :)

I'm really new to health and fitness. At 55 years of age my bones just creak at any mention of exercise! I'm trying though. I'm trying to change my (terrible) food habits too, I will struggle at both if I'm honest but I will try to stick it out.

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,871 Member
    Options
    Welcome, James!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,891 Member
    Options
    Welcome, James!

I hope you're not feeling like intense, punitive exercise is essential for weight loss or fitness improvement. Seems like a lot of people get here feeling that way, and it's 100% myth.

All that's necessary to make progress is something that's a manageable bit of a challenge to current capabilities. Gradual progress is progress. As a person gets fitter, it will be necessary (and fun IMO) to turn up the dial a bit, in any of intensity, frequency, duration or type of exercise, to keep that manageable challenge always in the picture and keep making progress.

In case you think I'm some blithe 20-something saying this: Nope. I'm 68 now, 59 when I joined MFP, and I wasn't routinely active until my late 40s, after full-bore cancer treatment. I hear you on the "creaky" thing, because I do have a few issues in the picture (osteoarthritis, torn meniscus, scar tissue from surgery/radiation, osteoporosis . . . .). Still, there are active things I've figured out I can do, and enjoy.

I feel like an advantage we have with aging is that by now we usually know ourselves pretty well, so can be canny about what's going to fit well with our own preferences, strengths, limitations and lifestyle.

Wishing you success: IME, the results are worth the effort!
  • chuggwaz
    chuggwaz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi James , welcome to the party. I hear you buddy, I’m 54 this year and hear my self making noises when I get out of chairs lol. I think the main thing to benefit from MFP is to regularly log your foods and watch the calories because you will find it’s surprising what you consume. Each day gets easier to log especially if you eat similar things for breakfast etc. But it’s also easy to find alternative that can give you lower calorie count and be healthier. Try baked (biscuit style) snacks rather fat fried potato chips , look at easy to prepare meals like cold meats or tuna with salads which are higher protein but lower calorie. Just some of the things I do and which help me stabilise and keep at my target weight.