Syncing my workouts

Options
laurahays764
laurahays764 Posts: 2 Member
I could use some advice, as I’m new here. I linked my Apple Watch to MFP. Do I have to manually put in my workouts or does it track it through my activity app on my watch? Also, I’m in Arizona and can I link my MFP to EOS gym ? Thank you in advance

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    Hi @laurahays764 welcome to MFP!

You sync your watch to MFP via the health app on your phone. You have to go in and change the privacy settings for your watch to sync with MFP.

I can share screen shots if you can’t figure out how.

Steps will sync automatically.

If you’re doing an exercise, you have to touch the little green man icon on your watch face, select the type of exercise and hit “start”. When your done “end” it. If you forget, your watch will generally vibrate to ask if you’re still exercising, ready to end, or need to pause.

I live in an urban area and am always running into someone who wants to chat, so pause is very handy for me. Just don’t forget to “restart”.

I usually walk 15-20,000 steps a day. If it’s a purposeful walk, I’ll stop and start the walk. If I’m just cleaning house, walking the half mile to my yoga studio, walking down to the cluster mailboxes, taking dog the short block for a quickly, I don’t bother. If I’m walking the two miles to the gym, or planning to take the dog more than half a mile, I’ll record it.

iME, Apple Watch becomes more accurate with use.

I’d be hesitant to hook it up to EOS or other gym equipment. They often record 50-100% more calories than folks are actually burning, leading to unintentional overeating. It’s in a gyms best interest to make people think they’re getting a huge burn. My opinion, fwiw. Even my home recumbent bike records about 25% more than my watch gives me credit for, so I don’t Bluetooth the bike numbers. I rely on my watch.

One caveat, if you’ve set your activity level at high or very high, or reach the point you’re burning several hundred calories per day, consider setting up the Apple Watch Adjustment to make sure you don’t get double credit. Again, if you need an explanation, be happy to do so, but you have to be pretty active for it to really matter.

Hope this helps. Be sure to post here if you have any questions.

MFP and my Apple Watch were game changers for me. That was when I started to make the real connection between calories in and calories out. Mind blown by how hard you have to work to burn off a 2-cookie serving of Oreos. I lost from a 22W to a consistent size 4 in maintenance. If I can do this, anybody can do this. I’ve been sorting 40 years of family photos the past couple weeks and am utterly kicking myself for letting me get so dang fat. I missed so much 😢

Wishing you much success and kicking regret out the door, too!