Am I a failure if I have too much fat one day?

Options
I guess I am posting this for reassurance. I am a 5'5 female weighing 175 pounds. My goal is 135. I lift twice a week and do HIIT the other 2 days at a gym class. I was advised to consume 1600 calories with 30%protein, 20%fat, and the rest carbs.

I had salmon at lunch and today is shaping up to be almost 52% fat. Will this impact my weight loss and did I make a huge mistake choosing the salmon along with an egg with a yolk for breakfast?

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,815 Member
    Options
    No nothing wrong with good fat as long as it doesn't put you over your overall calorie target. Get away from percentages and use grams for your macros
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't exceed your calorie deficit, you're good.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    What they said: It's calories that matter for weight loss.

For nutrition, it's fine to go over fat or protein or both. If persistently over fat or protein, and quite far under consistently on the other, it would be a good idea to work on increasing the one that's almost always low, either reducing the high one or reducing carbs (or alcohol ;) ) to keep calories where you need them.

Fats and protein contain "essential nutrients", things our bodies can't manufacture out of anything else. We need to eat a certain minimum of those for good nutrition and health. Carbs are not an "essential nutrient" in that sense. Our bodies can create their own carbs or equivalent.
  • kika5105
    kika5105 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You need good healthy fats in your diet, it's essential. I wouldn't sweat it because you went over your fats because you ate salmon. It's the bad fats that I'd be watching out for 😊
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,284 Member
    Options
    A side note to add to what others have said:

"Am I a failure if I have too much fat one day?"
    -> please be kinder to yourself :smile: that's a seriously harsh way to frame your question!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lietchi that seeing it as a failure is too harsh.

I would say it isnt wrong if you go over on fats or sugar or chocolate or anything FOR ONE DAY

Your overall diet is what matters, not that every day is perfect.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    I had salmon at lunch and today is shaping up to be almost 52% fat.
    Also, that percentage is a percentage of that ONE MEAL (or, perhaps, a percentage of what you've eaten so far in that day) so I would reiterate what tomcustombuilder said above: Look at the total fat grams per day, not a percentage.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,824 Member
    Options
    The other day I had several hundred grams of lovely rich Lindt chocolate. Straight up sugar, carbs and fats.

Because I’d had an especially workout-ful day, I didn’t go over my calories. I enjoyed every morsel (and am regretful I didn’t being more of the key lime yogurt bar back with me from the outlet I will probably never visit again).

I’m not a failure. I’m not disgusting, I’m not fat, I'm not a repulsive weak minded pig in a mirror, I’m not much of anything.

Key takeaway: I was still under my calories.

Please please please don’t weaponize food. It’s not a guilt bludgeon. It’s an inanimate object. It’s just food.

I eternally forget to brush my hair. It’s like me picking up a hairbrush, berating myself in the mirror for being such an abject failure to use one daily, and then smacking myself about the skull with it to make my failures sink in.

Its a thing. We can control things. It’s our thoughts about things that mess us up.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,824 Member
    Options
    Another thought- you’re posting for reassurance.

Good for you!!!!!

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve done that in the boards, or on my friends feed.

Having the feedback here, the reassurance, the similar experiences people discuss, the reassurance is enlightening and empowering.

Yes! We’re normal!!!! Yes! We can still reach our goals!!!!

Come to the boards often and also build a strong friends network. It’ll take time to get a nucleus of people who log regularly, who post insightfully. But the reassurance is worth its weight in gold!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options

. . .

Its a thing. We can control things. It’s our thoughts about things that mess us up.

I just needed to see that in print one more time. And boldface.