what would you count this as far as exercise???

Options
Grocery shopping. Ok, seriously, it's grocery shopping, but not your AVERAGE grocery shop. Picture boxing up 25-30 lbs. of groceries (frozen meats, produce, canned goods, etc.) one box at a time, taping the box up, loading at least half of them onto a flat, taping them shut. Repeat. $9000.00 worth. For 6 hours. ??? Not much moving around as far as walking, but constantly lifting small to medium items to box them. Lifting the boxes. Bending over and straightening up. I'm at a loss. And too tired to try to figure it out. :yawn:

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    That falls under activity level, not exercise.
  • countrygirlsoul
    Options
    Try checking out this website http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/caloriesBurned.php , maybe there's something here that will help you figure it out! I bet it's burns lots!!
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    well, if I did it every day or on a regular basis, I would consider it activity level. But I don't do this every day or on any kind of regular basis. I was helping someone with a large expediting order. I'll check out that website :happy:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Grocery shopping. Ok, seriously, it's grocery shopping, but not your AVERAGE grocery shop. Picture boxing up 25-30 lbs. of groceries (frozen meats, produce, canned goods, etc.) one box at a time, taping the box up, loading at least half of them onto a flat, taping them shut. Repeat. $9000.00 worth. For 6 hours. ??? Not much moving around as far as walking, but constantly lifting small to medium items to box them. Lifting the boxes. Bending over and straightening up. I'm at a loss. And too tired to try to figure it out. :yawn:
    Is your heart rate up the whole time? Then it's cardio, if not it's hard work but not what I would call excercise in the MFP realm. I agree it has far more to do with activity level you set up than working out.

If this was your full time job you would set your activity level accordingly and still not count it as excercise. To me, excercise goes above and beyond normal activities even if you're washing your car and you only do it once a year (yes someone on here brought this up). It's not cardio so I would never count that.

There is such thing as 'everyday movement' :drinker:

But that's simply how I do it be as honest as I can for me.

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have to respectfully disagree:smile: with the posts regarding this as part of the everyday activity. When I originally signed up and set my activity level it has you go by what you do most days, sedetary, moderately active, very active etc. That is what sets the amount of calories we are allowed each day. Sooo if you do things outside what you normally do you are burning more calories, thus should be able to make those calories up if you desire. I counted house cleaning a couple of weekends because though I do clean my house every week, I certainly do not clean for 6 hours,heavy duty non stop every week. And we all do grocery shopping every day or week we do not do the kind Vanillasugar is talking about. That's how I do mine anyway and I have lost really good every week since I started so I will definitely continue since it evidently works well for me:flowerforyou: Unfortunately I haven't been able to find anything that describes this for you:cry:
  • abricklin
    abricklin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Should have worn a HRM :)
    I would count it as light weight lifting and get calorie count from another site then enter it manually.