Need a Water alternative

Options
TheHieraphant
TheHieraphant Posts: 1 Member
edited May 23 in Health and Weight Loss
Long story short, I can't drink water due to subconscious issues related to my deployment in Afghanistan. Any time i try or accidentally drink some because im thirsty and its there i almost immediately begin vomiting.

To clarify some, I mean a glass of water/bottle of water. Things that include water don't effect me nor do powder mixes in water like lemonade or Gatorade mixes.

I am looking for hydration substitute or other healthy alternatives I can take along on walks/workouts. Trying to keep the calories down.

Answers

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,822 Member
    Options
    I like Crystal Light mixed at about 1/3 strength.
  • twish7
    twish7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I used to have trouble drinking plain water as well. I was a barista in my teens at a coffee place that served Italian sodas- basically carbonated water with Torani flavoured syrups. They have a sugar free series of flavours. Raspberry is my favourite and I carbonate my own water to make it a bit less fizzy.

https://ecscoffee.com/collections/sugar-free-syrups/products/torani-sugar-free-red-raspberry-750ml
  • greattrailkarma
    greattrailkarma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really like Calm water additive. It's a magnesium powder that comes in different flavors. Cheapest place I've found it is at Costco, but I've also gotten it on Amazon. I hope this helps.
    Thank you for serving.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Is flavored carbonated water enough of a change?
    I drink Lime Topo Chico almost every day. Its kind of like unsweetened Sprite.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of pure water so drink lots of weak, very lightly sweetened, room temperature tea. I make a batch of 52 oz the night before. Additionally, I have 30-45 oz of weak coffee per day. I used to think beverages with caffeine did not count towards fluid intake, and have since learned this is not true.

I'm also a veteran. The VA has so many resources but doesn't do a great job getting the word out. I hear about most of them from fellow veterans. I belong to Vet2Vet Boston. Here's the national site: https://vet2vetusa.org/
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I have the Crystal Light squeeze bottles that I add to water --- I don't like the strength of the singles powder sticks in a regular bottle of water --- so if I have those I put that in a 32oz bottle of water. The squeeze one lets you put however much you want - or any other brand of those squeeze things.

As far as a hydration supplement if you need one: I use Nuun tablets bc they are low in sugar - make your water a bit fizzy and have more than just sodium in them.

I'm really sorry that's happened to you - I hope you have access to any support you need.
  • kaferine69
    kaferine69 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you for serving.

There are a lot of really yummy options out there now! I love Teapigs cold brew teas. You put the teabag into about 20 oz of cold water and let it sit. I leave the bag in the whole time I drink it. My favorite so far their blackcurrent & raspberry combo. It tastes a little like a less-intense version of Kool-aid! I sometimes add a little sweetener to help - my favorite is the Splenda Zero liquid sweetener.

I also have been loving the Southern Breeze pre-sweetened Cold Brew tea options. Their blackberry tea is fantastic, and so is their strawberry tea. No additional sweetening needed, and 0 across the board for calories, sugar, etc.

I've been trying to do teas more instead of coffee, because I only like coffee with creamer in it.
  • dontlikepeople
    dontlikepeople Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    tropicana makes "light" fruit juices that are only 5 calories per 8oz and are absolutely delicious.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I like to buy the sugar free Propel powder packets at Sam's Club. True Lemon is also good, but more expensive.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Coconut water
    Unsweetened iced tea
    Flavored seltzer

I like vital proteins collagen water - adds electrolytes with protein and no sugar.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 323 Member
    edited May 25
    Options
    i can't drink water out of glass...i am convinced i can taste the sand that the glass is made of and its a terrible food aversion. i can drink other things from glass...just not water.
    i can drink water from only plastic. either a bottle or a plastic glass. i can not stomach water that comes out of the tap....another aversion for me. so it has to be plastic water...even though logically that should be no different...if it comes of t the tap...im not drinking it. but im ok using tap water for coffee or cooking. so just so you know.....you are not alone on your aversions. and based on your military history...i bet you taste the sand in the glass the same way i do .... which causes you issues.
  • ohheylindsey
    ohheylindsey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sorry you have to go through this.

I have a soda stream and love it! I’ll carbonate water and then squeeze some lemon or lime into it. If you like sparkling water this is the fresher version!

Otherwise some of the poppi or olipop sodas have grown on me. The flavors are hit or miss just fyi if you try it for the first time and hate it lol. They’re under 30 calories per can.
  • ohheylindsey
    ohheylindsey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also sorry another idea - I get lemon black tea or like mango black tea (or green tea) and dilute it in water and add lemon juice. Another 0 calorie option but with flavor.
  • Timewaitz4no1
    Timewaitz4no1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I usually use MIO, or some generic version of it. Almost all grocery type stores sell it, or they're own version. It's zero calories, and come in a bunch of different flavors. You just put a squirt into your water, based on however sweet you like it. Walmart actually has a version with no food coloring which I like, when I can find it. As far as electrolyte mixes, I love Redmond salt mixes. They're mango is the closest thing I've found flavor wise to a fresh, ripe mango. As far as the aversion to water, you might want to look into hypnotherapy. Just a thought. Thank you for your service.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    Iced coffee or iced tea, with artificial sweetener if you like, both available in decaf if you want to limit caffeine. Herbal teas, or blends of herbal and real tea.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    Also diluted fruit juice (start at one to one and decrease as much as you like over time).
  • Janellew86
    Janellew86 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    There's a water bottle additive called Pure Kick that I like. It's sold at Dollar General Market, might be on other dollar stores too...
  • ht7wj576my
    ht7wj576my Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have yet to find anything in a grocery store without toxic ingredients, but really like LMNT! It’s a science backed electrolyte drink without all the crappy ingredients that big food companies use to up their profit margins. Highly recommend avoiding any drinks or powders with food coloring, “natural flavors” or aspartame. There’s a reason those ingredients are illegal in almost every other country and why many have had lawsuits against them 😅. You’d be better off not drinking anything than drinking those.

LMNT has a ton of flavors and honestly I have liked them all. It comes in individual serve packets to make it super easy. Thank you so much for your service in the military, your sacrifice doesn’t go unnoticed. ❤️
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    When I go to fancy hotels.. they infuse their water with cucumbers.. or limes and oranges. it adopts the fresh taste and is so much better than plain water and no additives. I hope this helps.