Maintaining Weight as a Lifestyle change

So, this is my third time at this stage. I am not working out regularly. I am more of a casual walker who participates in 3Ks to support causes. I lost 55 pounds and am in the 150s. My biggest weakness is sugar. I have been introduced to the Keto chocolate (Lily's chocolate) which has made a difference. One other practice I am doing is intermittent fasting instead of eating breakfast, I am drinking the Vitacup green tea as well as adopting a low carb diet for lunch and dinner. Eliminating bread, starches, and sugar. We are 7 months in. Also weighing once a week and logging into My Fitness Pal daily. We are trying to do this for life.
Tagged:

Replies

• xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,172 Member
    edited July 8
    Nicely done!

I have been in maintenance at 150lbs 5'7" male since Oct 2023. My weight fluctuates a fair bit. Today I am up to 155lbs.

The extra 5lbs I am carrying is directly related to alcohol consumption from the weekend. :) I feel bloated today and my jeans are a bit snug so it's time to get to work again and peel off 5lbs... lol
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 11,213 Member
    Welcome, @herbernita!

The biggest help for me in maintenance is giving yourself a "good enough" range of weights, not a single number. In other words, don't focus strictly on "I have to weigh exactly 150" and then freak out when the scale reads 151.

Instead, give yourself a 6 pound range, or 3 pounds on either side. Instead of "150 or bust" it becomes "anything from 147-153 is perfect." (I personally allow 5 pounds on either side, but some find more comfort in the smaller range.)

Normal water retention comes and goes, an extra large meal takes longer to digest, lots of reasons for small weight fluctuations, as @xbowhunter made reference to in his situation.
  • momlongerwalk
    momlongerwalk Posts: 30 Member
    Whatever changes you make should be things you can live with for a long time. Keto? Great if that fits your lifestyle--you can find things that you are happy with on the menu at restaurants, your doc approves, you have energy to live your life as you want. (Me? I'm a carb girl. Good carbs, but carbs. Omnivore for my win!) But being able to not have to think hard every.single.day. about how you are doing things is very helpful. Tell us how you are doing as you proceed!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,670 Member
    I too lost 55lbs & am 150 but I also have a 7lbs range because our weight fluctuates daily. I've been on the lower end of 150 for months but got up to 150 & working on getting down a few more pounds