Waving the Newb Flag :)

Options
Hiya!

My name's Rachael, and I found MyFitnessPal randomly yesterday (I don't even remember how now).

I'm pretty gifted at self sabotage when it comes to diet and exercise, and I like the accountability that comes with the diary here. I also love the idea of giving and receiving support with others that share similar goals. What a great idea! Goodness bless these interwebs!

I'm looking to lose a minimum of 35 pounds by next May. It's going to be a long road, because I've managed to get myself into the worst shape of my life, but boy oh boy is it ever time!!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can do it, thats defnintely an acheivable goal!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Saw on your profile you are losing for your wedding, I am getting married in may too, must be meant to be friends!
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Indeed! Congratulations!
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm Lew, down 182 in just over a year. Married, dad of two boys and soon to have daughter... My diary is open to friends and I comment all the time. Welcome and good luck with your fitness goals!
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Wow Lew, that is amazing! Good for you!
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    We were all a "newb" at one time. Welcome! Congrats on your upcoming nuptuals and best of luck! You CAN do it!
  • MandyLion76
    MandyLion76 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a newb too. I started yesterday and made my little into.
    I'm with you on the accountability point of the diary. I think it's great! I love that it tells you where you stand with nutrients at the end of the day. I'm finding that with the path I've chosen it's fairly difficult for me to even reach my suggested caloric intake every day. I would not have known how big my caloric deficit was had I not had this handy tool to help me, which could have ended up with a not so healthy weight loss. However, I do have a lot to lose, so for my initial detox week (sugar and processed food junky) I'm not too concerned about coming in a little low everyday. After that I will have to make some adjustments. Blablabla...I digress...

Welcome! Congrats on your upcoming nuptials!
  • scot30316
    scot30316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Just signed up a few minutes ago and thought I would post a few times before introducing myself formally in a thread. After inputting my days worth of foods I can see some changes will need to be made in my diet to get to my goal. But at the same time I am not in any hurry to get there either. I'll be happy losing 1 pound a week if I can get to my goal at some point.

Started walking two nights ago after work with the dog on some trails near where we are house sitting for a friend. First night we walked about 3.5 miles and then last night 4.4. SHOCKED myself that I was able to accomplish that and gave me the motivation to officially kick off some changes in my life.

Just want to be healthier, drop some pounds, get my high blood pressure in check, lower cholesterol, and most importantly hopefully get my testosterone back to normal levels without having to use replacement therapy I have been on for over a year now. I'm only 36 years old and too young to have these issues but most of it is from the extra 50 plus pounds I carry in my mid section.

My wife will be embarking on this journey with me as well at least that is the plan. We both need to lose weight and having both of us on this path will hopefully make it a smoother one.