First Half Marathon

Options
Hey everyone! So I looked through some of the previous threads about half marathons and got a few tips but I'm just curious if you guys have anymore. My first half marathon is October 19th. I currently am up to 9.5 miles (10 this weekend). I just wanted to know if you guys had any tips on how to make my first half the best it can be. Also, what is considered a "good" time for a half? I am a pretty slow runner.

Replies

• cwsikes
    Options
    Don't go out too fast and nothing new on race day. There is no "good" time. A good time for me would be sub 2 hours while a good time for my husband would be sub 1:20. Good is whatever you can finish at and be willing to do it again someday.
  • sierravictor
    sierravictor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first this past weekend! I ran in just over 3 hours. There were loads of people of all shapes and sized who finished with me, and even well later than me. So just run your own race! Good luck! :smile:
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Don't start out too fast. Keep a nice steady pace and you'll finish well. As for time - it all depends on you. What is your personal goal for the half? My first half I just wanted to finish in under 3 hours. Then my next goal was finishing in under 2:30. One of these days I'll get to the point where I want to finish in under 2 hours but I'm not there yet.

Hydrate and sleep the TWO days before the race. You won't sleep easily the night before so make sure you spend a few days before the half fueling and resting for the event. Whether it's a good pic or not, save your finish photo as a memory of your first half marathon. My friend's first half didn't have finish line photos so it was pretty disappointing, but her 2nd half (just 5 days later) got some great pictures to capture the memory.
  • studentgirly
    studentgirly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am doing one in Novemeber and haven't started training yet.
    Any tips or advice?
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    I am doing one in Novemeber and haven't started training yet.
    Any tips or advice?

Basically I could already run 8 miles. I just added 1/2 a mile each week. I run 3x a week, 2 shorter (around 4-6 miles) runs and 1 long run where I increase by 1/2 a mile each week. That's my plan.
  • clarkeje1
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys, I love it! Keep em coming!
  • bartonjack
    bartonjack Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    DON'T worry about your time!! Just stay within yourself and do what YOU can do. Don't worry what everyone else is doing. Just worry about you and enjoy the run.
  • EmmaNilsson77
    EmmaNilsson77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm always in for tips! My first half is five days before yours, am quite excited. Good luck!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm also running my first 1/2 on October 19th.

As this is my first road race, my goal is to complete it. Honestly, I have no set time that I want to cross the finish line in. I have a rough idea of what my time will likely be, given my training pace etc. but, I'm not going to commit to trying to make a time.

Here are some tips that I received from some seasoned runners who I know:

1) Start of slow, in the middle of the pack, behind those out to break PRs etc.

2) When you first start running, slow it down. Adrenaline of the race day will be pushing you more than you realize so slow it down a notch.

3) Don't think that walking will "ruin" your race - lots of people do 10 minutes run, 1 minute walk or 2 mile run 1 minute walk. Overall your pace is not usually affected by this, but gives you just enough recovery to keep pushing

4) Smile. Remember why you put in all those hours training, why you signed up. Chances are this is all for YOU. So, enjoy it!

5) Drink lots of water the 2-3 days leading up to race day, and ease up on the fibre. Think simple carbs (white breads/pasta) and lean meats (fish, boneless skinless chicken breasts)

6) Track what does and doesn't feel good on your training runs - notice certain miles that bring on cramps, fatigure, mental block etc. Also track how you feel after, if you had to stop to use the bathroom etc. Write down what you eat the night before and morning before your long runs. Did you feel satisfied? Were you hugnry? If something is working, don't change it right before the race.

Best wishes on your first 1/2 marathon. I know that I am looking forward to mine!!
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My first half is next weekend. I am both excited and a little scared. My goal for the first one is just to finish in a decent timeframe.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert on halfs, although I've been know to run them on back to back days sometimes.

Lots of rest and water the days before. I usually load up on carbs the night before.

Start out slow the first couple miles and let your body dictate on going faster when its ready. One trick that works for me is 10-20 gummy bears bout 6-7 miles in. Gives me instant energy and burst.

Everybody is different on times as you said, but a decent 1st half time for me is 60 minutes.
  • clarkeje1
    Options
    I'm also running my first 1/2 on October 19th.

As this is my first road race, my goal is to complete it. Honestly, I have no set time that I want to cross the finish line in. I have a rough idea of what my time will likely be, given my training pace etc. but, I'm not going to commit to trying to make a time.

Here are some tips that I received from some seasoned runners who I know:

1) Start of slow, in the middle of the pack, behind those out to break PRs etc.

2) When you first start running, slow it down. Adrenaline of the race day will be pushing you more than you realize so slow it down a notch.

3) Don't think that walking will "ruin" your race - lots of people do 10 minutes run, 1 minute walk or 2 mile run 1 minute walk. Overall your pace is not usually affected by this, but gives you just enough recovery to keep pushing

4) Smile. Remember why you put in all those hours training, why you signed up. Chances are this is all for YOU. So, enjoy it!

5) Drink lots of water the 2-3 days leading up to race day, and ease up on the fibre. Think simple carbs (white breads/pasta) and lean meats (fish, boneless skinless chicken breasts)

6) Track what does and doesn't feel good on your training runs - notice certain miles that bring on cramps, fatigure, mental block etc. Also track how you feel after, if you had to stop to use the bathroom etc. Write down what you eat the night before and morning before your long runs. Did you feel satisfied? Were you hugnry? If something is working, don't change it right before the race.

Best wishes on your first 1/2 marathon. I know that I am looking forward to mine!!

Great tips, thank you!
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Lots of great tips in here! I'll echo the biggest one for me, don't run too fast out of the chute!!! Pace yourself, otherwise you will be dead by the time it gets to the end. Take your time, use your walk breaks (if you are doing a run/walk method) when you scheduled them. Don't worry about others and how they are doing, focus on yourself and making sure that you are conserving your energy during the first 7-8 miles so that you can push at the end if you see that you are on pace for a time you are happy with.

Overall though, just HAVE FUN. Running is fun, talk to people around you if you are bored, enjoy the course and the scenery.
  • clarkeje1
    Options
    My first half is next weekend. I am both excited and a little scared. My goal for the first one is just to finish in a decent timeframe.

What is a decent time? Under 3 hours? I dunno, I'm slow lol
  • clarkeje1
    Options
    Any tips on chafing? Body glide?
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

I would go for 3 hours. I can do four miles in an hour at the moment.
  • RunWinterGarden
    Options

The only person who can decide on a decent time is yourself! My PR is 2:29:41, but I've also done one that was 3:15 with my 52 year old father and that was a great time for him because he was able to finish at all! Just stay ahead of the sweepers and enjoy the run!
  • RunWinterGarden
    Options

YES!!! Body Glide is very important! Also, depending on the race, they might have medical stations that have vaseline or other things to help with that, if you feel chafing starting take advantage of them.
  • obbycake
    obbycake Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ahh! I'm going in for my first half marathon this year too. Mine is October 12th!

Make sure to not burn yourself out before by overtraining as you're approaching the date.
  • clarkeje1
    Options

YES!!! Body Glide is very important! Also, depending on the race, they might have medical stations that have vaseline or other things to help with that, if you feel chafing starting take advantage of them.

Thanks so much! My thighs got badly chafed during an 8 mile run so I really need to be careful as the runs get longer lol Pain!