Junk food cravings

Options
How long does it take to reset my taste buds after having junk food cravings everyday to finding a healthy snack I actually like eating

Answers

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    edited May 31
    Options
    Too many factors to determine what might mitigate cravings for certain foods especially on an individual basis. If your referring to UPF's then factors which might effect the overconsumption would need to be mostly removed from the diet altogether. A whole food diet might be somewhere to start and see what happens, but that is hard to do simply because people like yummy food too much to switch to broccoli (whole food example) overnight. Also why do you phrase it "finding a healthy snack" you like, do you not like any healthy food? Anyway, if your eating mostly processed foods that you seem to have a problem with, adding a snack whether healthy or not really isn't going to do much for a situation like that, in my opinion of course.

I would suggest you increase protein and also to consume lower glycemic carbs and that protein before you begin eating those higher glycemic ones which generally translate to better satiety because it slows digestion dealing with protein and fiber first, it's basically a hack.
  • shawnnaarmstrong5463
    shawnnaarmstrong5463 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Junk food is created to be addictive. The more you eat, the more you crave. Try re-training yourself to appreciate fresh fruit, vegetables, eggs, cheese, lean meats in moderation, beans, salsa, corn tortillas, etc. Check out Whole Foods, farmer’s markets, co-ops, etc. Look at it as an adventure, and an investment in yourself.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    edited June 1
    Options
    the above is very true. The more you eat of something, the more you will crave that food. So, it works for healthy food also. If you start eating crisp salads..with fresh vegetables and a great light dressing. You start wanting more.. and heavy fatty laden dressing salads taste gross after a while.
    Getting to that transition point that is aggravating. My strategy; I have all junk food and sugar foods eliminated from my home. There is one small convenience store I would stop off at to buy necessities like cleaning products..and always but a little candy bar and it was so easy to buy a frozen pizza. So.. I stopped going to that store. After a few weeks..the bad habits and cravings went away.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Here's an extreme example, but when Penn Jillette (of Penn & Teller) started his nutritarian diet (no carb vegan) and lost 100 lbs, He started the whole process with only potatoes for the first 2 weeks to reset his cravings and taste expectations.
    He wrote a really entertaining book about it: "Presto! How I Made Over 100 Lbs Disappear"
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,837 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's going to be individual. (I don't like much so-called "junk", "fast" or "hyperpalatable" food, and got fat anyway. 🤷)

Some of it will depend on your finding a calorie-appropriate overall way of eating that you generally enjoy, including snacks, if you choose to still snack.

Many of us find there are certain foods we can't moderate: If we start eating them, we'll eat the whole bag/box/thing. Those may have to be completely off limits, at least at first. (Get them out of the house if possible, don't buy them; if others in the house eat them, put them in a designated cupboard that you tell yourself is Not Your Food. Some people even have housemates lock them up!)

Other than that kind of thing, if there are foods you can eat in moderation, i.e., calorie appropriate portions/frequencies, it may not be essential to totally stop enjoying them.

As far as stopping the strong cravings, someone here once helpfully described it as being like training a puppy: If we are strict in applying the rules we've set for the puppy, consistent every time, the puppy adapts quickly. If we're loosey-goosey, let things slide part of the time and don't stick with the planned rules, the puppy learns that begging will work.

Cravings aren't that different: Decide on your rules, whether eliminating certain foods, or setting portion/frequency limits, and stick with it. That's the quickest way to make those new habits stick, IMO.

Best wishes!
  • Traquette
    Traquette Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Try a lot of new food : some will be disappointement, but other will be a hit. You'll have more variety, it helps no to feel stuck to eat the same thing again and again just because it's the healthy choice.
    Cutting everything cold turkey is a risk in my opinion, better to do it gradually, though eliminating a few items totally might be ok (for me sodas were easy to give up and I never drink any anymore)

It can be difficult if you're a picky eater to find new healthy foods you like but you'll get used to the changes you make !
  • Cakesalad
    Cakesalad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After 6 years of junk food, I just started eating clean from last 2 months. First, I checked other priorities and hurdles to evaluate whether this time I can stick to weight loss journey or not. I’m still not sure how far can I go but following strategies working well

1) check other priorities, plan or organise accordingly
    2) mindset
    3) family/ friends support
    4) increase protein and fibre intake
    5) plenty of water
    6) calories deficit
    7) celebrate (reward your achievements by self love
    and self care!)

Best wishes!