Sweat and intensity

Options
So I have an odd question. I'm probably high beginner near intermediate level exerciser (at least for cardio) with a lot of weight to lose but exercising pretty regularly. I've been trying lots of different things. Well when I do something like zumba or jazzercise, I sweat like crazy, and also feel that my heart rate is up. I could talk and am not panting but conversation would be difficult. I recently got an exercise bike, and have been riding that for about 25 minutes at a time. My knees are a bit dodgy so I'm not going super fast or intense yet working up and adding it to the other stuff..just about 4 miles in 25 minutes, or 10 miles an hour most of the time. The heart rate thingy is broken on it and I don't have one, but I don't feel winded or out of breath really, but omg do I sweat. I'm dripping when I'm done. I think I sweat more than the dance aerobics maybe, but I have more breath than in them. The room isn't particular warm where my bike is though there isn't a fan down there yet. Is this normal to sweat like crazy even if you don't feel very winded?

I also had a weird sweat thing this weekend..I was walking around browsing art at an art festival on a very humid but not very hot day, and I just started sweating like crazy. I felt absolutely fine, not at all winded no weird anything not even that hot, but was just dripping for a moment there shortly after getting there. Didn't seem like others were. Kind of embarrassing. I bought a little cotton baseball type hat and that helped.

So I guess the question is..anything to worry about here, or is this just how it is for some people and i'm thinking too much?

EDIT - and yes I'll ask my doc about it next time I go in.

Replies

• peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    many factors can contribute to sweating, but remember the basics of sweat is to help you cool. So a humid enviroment may not seem hot temperature wise but it still raises your body heat. Clothing, air movement, intensity of movement, weather and hydration level all can play a part in it.

Also remember that winded doesnt always correlate to higher heart rate, so you can get a higher heart rate but not be winded (which is a good fitness goal).
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I sweat like a grown man (I'm a woman btw). My husband and I had this argument not long ago; I was convinced that heavy sweating meant you were working out super hard. He pointed out that I sweat when I stand still, when it's cold, at night...etc.

I went to an endocrinologist. I thought maybe it was a hormonal problem. She couldn't find anything wrong with my bloodwork. I've ALWAYS been super sweaty though...she said it was probably a bit of a "thermal disregulation."

I find that I DO sweat more when I am very hydrate (I drink 4-5 liters of water daily)...and of course in a hot environment. I often "feel hot" when other people do not.

One thing I noticed at the gym (besides that I sweat more than most men), some people just seem to be sweaty ALL of the time. Yup, I'm one of them. I did read an article that said "fit" people tend to sweat sooner while working out, b/c their bodies are used to exercise and know how to cool them off more efficiently and faster (maybe that's bs, I don't know).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    sweat is an indicator of ambient temperature, humidity, and hydration more than an indicator of intensity of effort.
  • jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've found that since I started exercising properly over the last year or so I sweat much more and much easily.

Although I find the sensation of it dripping off me rather horrible before I started sweating so much I just found I got hotter and hotter and hotter until I felt ill and couldn't really continue with the exercise.

I'm still not great when I start to overheat but I'm learning to push through it and not to quit
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I never used to sweat, I would turn beat red in the face, but not sweat a drop.

Now, I sweat like a hostage. I think about exercise, and I sweat.
    When I box, it literally drips off of me.
    I can see it all over me.
    And it soaks my clothes.

It used to gross me out, but now I love it... both on me and on others.
    As long as it doesn't stink. lol

The fitter I got, the more I began to sweat.
    The harder I push, the more I sweat.
    The more water I drink, the more I sweat.

Sweat is awesome.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

And it soaks my clothes.

Sweat is awesome.

Do you still turn beat red in the face?
  • MireyGal76
    Options

And it soaks my clothes.

Sweat is awesome.

only when I'm dehydrated

eta... well, yeah some... cuz I'm often dehydrated (I rarely get my 64oz of water - some days I drink none).
    When I've had 64 oz, I don't get nearly as red in the face.

I'm relatively fair skinned though, so I turn red easily.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

And it soaks my clothes.

Sweat is awesome.

only when I'm dehydrated

eta... well, yeah some... cuz I'm often dehydrated (I rarely get my 64oz of water - some days I drink none).
    When I've had 64 oz, I don't get nearly as red in the face.

I'm relatively fair skinned though, so I turn red easily.

I'm pretty much purple and disgusting 10 minutes into a workout. I hate it, so bad. I'm also always dehydrated, so that's interesting. Just wondering if it ever gets better as you get healthier *LOL* My cardiovascular health still pretty much blows.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I don't turn red, just sweat a ton. I'm not typically warm when others are cold, if anything I tend to run a bit colder, despite the weight. I don't think its hot flashes yet either, though those are probably not far off. Maybe i've just gotten to be a more efficient sweater. I've been exercising much more regularly after years of being quite sedentary.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    Tonight at boxing I was red faced, well hydrated, and the sweat was insane. I could feel it running down my shoulders. It dripped on the floor while we were planking. I wasn't the only one though. :-)

My hrm logged a burn of 899 cals in 60 mins...