Apple Watch step calories not counting properly

Options
mjb8070
mjb8070 Posts: 2 Member
I have my MFP calorie requirements set to sedentary, so any activity should be added to my daily goal.

I've been using my apple watch to count steps during the day. When I'm at work I typically log 12-15,000 steps in a day and the step count copies over to MFP, but the calorie count is typically something in the low double digits or even in the single digit range, and that low number gets added to my daily calories remaining.

Recently I went for a leisurely walk without my watch on and my phone logged 8000 steps and that step count copied over to MFP but it showed several hundred calories burned and added those to my calories remaining.

Looking at the details, it seems this calorie count from the steps on my watch is based on MFP comparing the step count the MFP app got to the step count my watch got and only giving me the extra calories based on the difference between the two. It doesn't seem to do that when I'm only using my phone. The total calories are lost in space.

Am I missing a setting in the app somewhere? I don't want to use my phone exclusively, because I regularly leave it sitting at my workstation when I'm getting up and walking around the department.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• durden
    durden Posts: 3,310 MFP Staff
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you are seeing a step count and a 0 for the adjustment, then you have not yet earned an adjustment.

The adjustment is actually not based on your step count, but instead based on your entire activity for the day. The step count is there as an incentive and though it does contribute to part of your activity level, it's not the sole contributor.

Therefore x amount of steps does not mean you will receive x amount of extra calories.

The way the adjustment is derived is by comparing your total calories burned from your tracker against the total calories already provided by MyFitnessPal.

When you have earned more calories than MyFitnessPal has already provided, you will then see the difference as your adjustment.

** You can view a breakdown of this calculation by tapping on the adjustment line and then on the adjustment itself (above the Learn More button) in the app, or by clicking the "i" next to the adjustment line in the Cardiovascular section online at www.MyFitnessPal.com **

Please also note: the total calories from MyFitnessPal will include any calories instantly provided by adding separate exercises (outside of your partner adjustment) to MyFitnessPal, along with the calories needed to reach the goals you set when joining the program.

The following article may also help: https://myfitnesspal.zendesk.com/hc/articles/360032623871-What-is-the-Calorie-Adjustment-in-my-Exercise-Diary-

Answers

• mjb8070
    mjb8070 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Okay, maybe I wasn’t clear

When I use my phone and not my watch, whether taking a leisurely walk or walking around at work, it makes the adjustments correctly.

When I use my watch, it does not make the adjustments correctly.

This is a problem in the programming of the app, not in my understanding of what the app is supposed to do

On top of that, are you telling me that when I have my activity level set to the lowest activity setting, whatever your equivalent of sedentary is, and then walk 7+ miles a day around my department at work, that I don’t get any calorie adjustment at all? Seriously?
  • sascha_schuth
    sascha_schuth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Same issue here - the Apple Watch steps count only as a significant calorie burn if they come as an exercise; otherwise they give little calorie bonus; furthermore Apple Health shows today approx. 600 more burned calories than MFP… Dear MFP team, please fix this
  • durden
    durden Posts: 3,310 MFP Staff
    Options
    mjb8070 wrote: »
    Okay, maybe I wasn’t clear

When I use my phone and not my watch, whether taking a leisurely walk or walking around at work, it makes the adjustments correctly.

When I use my watch, it does not make the adjustments correctly.

This is a problem in the programming of the app, not in my understanding of what the app is supposed to do

On top of that, are you telling me that when I have my activity level set to the lowest activity setting, whatever your equivalent of sedentary is, and then walk 7+ miles a day around my department at work, that I don’t get any calorie adjustment at all? Seriously?

You were definitely clear. For one thing, your watch is going to be much more accurate in recording your activity than your phone is- your phone is only counting your steps, after all. I'm not surprised that they are returning different information given that.

You should also be aware that- MyFitnessPal is taking that data from Apple Health, not generating it. If your watch is sending us information that states you haven't earned an adjustment, then there is very little we can do to change that. Generally, if you are seeing steps and getting an adjustment but it's zero, you can safely assume the activity tracker and adjustment are working as intended.

I can't speak to your specific situation, but depending on what your goals are in MFP, your vitals/weight/height/etc, and how "active" those 7 miles of walking are a day (because leisurely walking that vs getting your heart rate up consistently can vastly change how many calories you're burning) yes, it is completely possible that you don't earn an adjustment.

If you still believe there is an issue, I encourage you to reach out to our Customer Happiness team who can actually take a look at your account and give you some more specific feedback here. To reach our support team for assistance, please visit https://myfitnesspal.zendesk.com/hc/en-us or email directly to support@myfitnesspal.com