Cycling gloves? Fitting and other considerations.

Options
MargaretYakoda
MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
edited June 5 in Fitness and Exercise
I’ve been getting callouses on my palms. They are so annoying!

So I bought some cycling gloves. They do have gel pads, which I think should help. But they seem like they might be too big. This is size S. My fingers are loose inside the gloves and there’s wiggle room throughout.

So I’m asking experienced cyclists.
Should I size down?
What other factors should I consider?
e248b3sfqo48.jpeg

Best Answer

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,605 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    How do they fit when you grip the handlebar?

Are they women's small or men's? I once bought a pair of cycling gloves that were women's size. They actually fit my hands better.

All my cycling gloves have been fairly tight. Did you measure your hand to get the right size? Is it possible they were labeled with the wrong size? I had that happen once - I bought a long-sleeve top for river trips. It arrive and the label clearly said long sleeve, but it was short sleeve.

Are they a from a manufacturer with a good reputation? If they don't fit, return them before you cut the tags off and get some that fit or maybe if they work good enough just use 'em.

Answers

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I cut the tags off before I tried them on because I hate tags. :'(

They’re some random Amazon brand. They did have good reviews, and seem well made. And I measured but I was between sizes so I sized up. They are a women’s small.

They weren’t expensive.

Thanks for the answer. I think I will order the smaller version. These will probably be offered up on Buy Nothing by next week.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,851 Member
    Options
    If you have a local bike shop, they tend to have gloves you can try on. That may help. I'm a difficult fit, with very large (thick) hands for a woman (size 10 ring finger when slim!). Specialized bike gear often has weird sizing (seems to run small), but I'm not sure that extends to the gloves - your experience would tend to suggest not, at least in that particular line.

Thank you for reminding me that I need to buy new bike gloves! ;)
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to a bike shop. I've been a cyclist for years, and I'll tell you my current gloves fit perfect for me. They're a little bit hard to put on and take off. That may be an indicator of fit.