New here

Hi I’m Mel, I’m trying to lose weight as I wanna start trying for a baby, I’m looking for tips on what to do and don’t do while trying to lose weight. I love fruit but I’m not sure if any are better than others, if you could let me know that’ll be great. Also feel free to add me as a friend

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,939 Member
    Welcome, Mel!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    Hi, Mel! That sounds like a great motivation. Not only may weight loss help you reach that goal in a healthy way, your healthy lifestyle will be a great model for your new little one. Good stuff!

Mostly, losing weight is about hitting the right personal calorie level, one that creates a sensibly moderate, sustainable loss rate and helps a person find/practice the habits that help us stay at a healthy weight long term.

Generally, fruit is a healthy food, with fiber and micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, and beneficial phytochemicals). If you start logging your food in your diary, I predict you'll quickly learn which fruits are most appealing to you taste-wise for their calorie level and nutritional content. The specific "best choices" are likely to vary individually.

For example, bananas are a relatively higher-calorie fruit, but if someone utterly loves them, slicing up a bit on the morning oatmeal (or whatever) can make the calorie goal easier and more enjoyable to stick with, versus forcing a switch to some fruit that just doesn't hit the yum target in that same way.

While calories are the key direct determinant of fat loss/gain, getting good overall nutrition (on average over a day or few) is important for health. Logging in MFP can help fine-tune that, too.

It can be a lot to absorb all at once, so I'd usually recommend focusing first on calorie level and what foods help you stay full and happy at that calorie level. Once that's falling into place, that's a good time to start fine-tuning nutrition. As long as we're not starting out with a diagnosed deficiency or nutrition-relevant health condition, it's OK to take a bit of time figuring that all out. IMO, it's a big deal to find a routine we can stick with, which means food choices will tend to be somewhat individual.

Best wishes - in my experience, the results are worth the effort!