Just found out that MFP has a social community

Options
LesrylLim
LesrylLim Posts: 2 Member
Hey everyone, I've been using MFP for quite some time now. Mostly for tracking food macros and that's about it.

I just found out that there's actually a cool community behind all of that & I'm excited to meet new friends so feel free to add me or share your fitness journey and maybe we can keep each other motivated and accounted for when it comes to health & fitness :smile:

P.S I mostly do weightlifting and boxing in the gym, and I would love to hear about your fitness journey and what got you started! Feel free to add me :)

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,747 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the forums!
  • farmboyphotography
    farmboyphotography Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    The social community is not the same as the news feed. The activity feed is nowhere near as user-friendly and does not provide the same social interaction experience. At all. MFP is not the app it used to be. Claims that the newsfeed is “a seldom used feature that will be discontinued as a result“ is completely false. After logging over 4250 days, this change is a dealbreaker for me and dozens of my MFP friends. This will be a costly error for MyFitnessPal. I’m leaving, along with many others. Big mistake, MFP. BIG. HUGE. 👋🏻
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,333 Member
    Options
    The social community is not the same as the news feed. The activity feed is nowhere near as user-friendly and does not provide the same social interaction experience. At all. MFP is not the app it used to be. Claims that the newsfeed is “a seldom used feature that will be discontinued as a result“ is completely false. After logging over 4250 days, this change is a dealbreaker for me and dozens of my MFP friends. This will be a costly error for MyFitnessPal. I’m leaving, along with many others. Big mistake, MFP. BIG. HUGE. 👋🏻

Not sure why you posted this rant on the thread of a person coming into the community.

To the OP: welcome to the boards!
    To clarify the post above: adding someone as a friend is still possible, but the usefulness of that will soon be very limited: only private messages, since the newsfeed will soon disappear from the app and website (or is already gone for some).
    - You can keep up with the community in the public boards (different sub boards depending on the subject)
    - you can look for groups that interest you (those are members only, I believe, and make sure to check if the group is still active, there are many inactive ones)
    - and then there is the (supposed) replacement of the newsfeed: the activity feed of each member on their community board profile (new, and not very user friendly or popular)

My own journey started in 2019, the start of my weight loss journey (losing nearly 75lbs over the following years). As I lost weight, I also increased my activity level. My sport of choice is running (20-30km per week) and occasionally indoor rowing. I also enjoy walking/hiking, which is an activity I mostly do while on holiday. I should do more weightlifting (I have a homegym) but alas, I always default to cardio :smile:
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,336 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    After logging over 4250 days
    Not sure why you posted this rant on the thread of a person coming into the community.
    - you can look for groups that interest you (those are members only, I believe, and make sure to check if the group is still active, there are many inactive ones)
    Additionally, recommending to a new person to go in "Groups" is not helpful, it's as helpful as letting them know US android app still allows the newsfeed (as of today).

New User: MFP "Groups" are currently horribly broken, and 99.9% of all current active users avoid them like the plague. (users may respond here "they should work" and "I used to go there" but nobody currently uses them.) To be avoided whilst horribly broken.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,333 Member
    Options
    Not sure what is 'horribly broken' - sure, there not terribly handy but technically they work (unlike the newsfeed) and I have heard some members mention some specifics groups they find helpful and are active. It's an option that exists and OP can determine himself if he likes them or not.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,336 Member
    edited June 7
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    ...technically they work (unlike the newsfeed)
    Let me check....yup, technically the newsfeed works for me as of right now. Historical Groups were useful. Let me check again...nope, Groups are horribly broken and not useful as of right now.
    I have heard some members mention some specifics groups they find helpful and are active.
    There it is, I have spooky predictive powers.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,837 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome, LesrylLim!

Yes, there is a Community forum here, and some of us find it helpful and encouraging, me included.

There are some threads over in the Fitness and Exercise section where folks share their workouts and encourage each other, and some threads/groups in the Challenges part of the Community for people focused on some specific fitness goals (running, biking, lifting, planking . . . etc.). As a fit-focused guy yourself, you might want to check out those areas. There is a Gaining Weight and Bodybuilding section in the Community, too, but it's a bit lower traffic.

Personally, my main focus is rowing (on water when I can, machine when I must) with some cycling for variety (same deal, outdoors is more fun than stationary). I got started being routinely active in my late 40s after cancer treatment, recognizing that I needed to do that in order to feel strong, vital and maybe even happy ever again. A couple of years in, a breast cancer survivors rowing team was forming. I joined that with some trepidation - wasn't sure I was up to it! - but got addicted to rowing, and that led me to a much more active overall lifestyle.

I hope you find some things in the Community that appeal to you!

P.S. There are some social features in MFP that are being removed, features that some users found very helpful. I think that context is part of why there are so many negative posts on your thread so far. Don't fear, IME there is camaraderie, positivity and support to be had here in the Community.

Best wishes!