Sugar Cravings

Options
trappedinfat
trappedinfat Posts: 43 Member
I quit drinking alcohol several months ago and now I crave sweets all the time. I understand this is normal but I really need some suggestions on low calorie sweet treats. I can't stand the artificial sugar flavor and I'm a convenience food junkie. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,851 Member
    Options
    When I started making it a point to eat at least 3 servings of fruit daily, I found that my cravings for more calorie-dense sweets gradually decreased. That doesn't work for everyone, but I've seen others here say it was helpful, so it might be a thing to try if you haven't already tried it.
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Salty & sweet? Pop Secret makes snack sized bags of light kettle corn. I make a home-made batch of low(er) sugar kettle corn occasionally.

Are you a tea drinker? Not the season, but red (rooibos) tea has a natural sweetness to it. Twinings orange spice is a favorite.

Hard candy. Jolly Ranchers are difficult to chew up quickly so they last awhile.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Freeze dried fruit counts in your diet as a fruit, but hits the tastebuds like candy.
    Amazon has many varieties.

Also a sugar free drink, like crystal lite might help.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I found sweets to prolong the cravings, and a few things to break the cravings; a square of dark dark chocolate. Started at 65% moved up to 90. Melt with tbsp pb, swirl and dip 1/2 banana for a snack (bit higher cal, but also served as my sweet and chocolate compromise.)

Dill pickles or sauerkraut did the trick too such as center of a meat rollup or pickled whatever - asparagus, mushrooms, pepperoncinis.
  • caylapal888
    caylapal888 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    @trappedinfat Did you detox after you stopped consuming alcohol?
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    @trappedinfat Did you detox after you stopped consuming alcohol?
    “Several months ago” suggests the OP’s liver has had enough time to remove all the bad effects of the alcohol from their body.
  • jess2023mac
    jess2023mac Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sweets are my nemesis. :( I'm not a person who can have just a little bit or eat just one. So, for the most part, I keep sweet stuff out of the house.
    I do eat some things that are low calorie such as 40 cal. fudge pops. Sugar free gum. Low cal hot chocolate. Or even will grab a cup of coffee with milk and sugar if I'm feeling I need something.
    And the fruit. I really like grapes and watermelon. Or you could make a frozen banana type ice cream. I'll add a little vanilla and cocoa with a frozen banana, maybe either a bit of milk or yogurt to thin it down if needed. Or a smoothie filled with lots of fruit and spinach.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking alcohol several months ago and now I crave sweets all the time. I understand this is normal but I really need some suggestions on low calorie sweet treats. I can't stand the artificial sugar flavor and I'm a convenience food junkie. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Jolly Ranchers do it for me if I have a sweet craving. I can suck on one for an hour or more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Traquette
    Traquette Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I find that having to prepare sweets at home helps because I'm lazy so I usually pass haha

Otherwise, fruits do the trick some times for me. Frozen feels more like a treat: simple grapes kept in the freezer, frozen banana or mango turned into "ice cream".

• LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    One thing I had to learn is that I can't always eat what I want; and that the longer I stay away from something (like cane sugar, which I haven't had in a couple decades) the less I mind the flavor of alternatives. I used to dislike maple flavor and strongly dislike coconut. Now I use maple sugar all the time and rarely taste coconut sweetener when it is used.
    Also, please remember that if you backslide, don't take it as a failure but as a lesson. I tried MANY times to give up sugar cane (it was really messing me up) before I was fully able to be done with it. Give yourself some grace and compassion and continue your journey forward!
  • rannie57
    rannie57 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ice cream, measure it, enjoy it, a little goes a long way. Doesn't have to be Halo either