gained 3 pounds in one week vacation...

I have finally reached my goal a month ago and maintained it throughout the month but then I went on a one week vacation are we ate at restaurants every meal except breakfast. I did choose healthy choices vegetables seafood over fried food but I did eat a little more than usual problem is now I weigh 3 pounds more and it's been 5 days since I came back and the scale still says the same3 pound gain. I exercise everyday well I was on vacation and jump right back into workout routine as soon as I got back but for some reason it's just not coming off I'm eating exactly the same amount of calories I did well I was losing my weight the first time at a pound a week... Any suggestions??

Replies

• gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    bump
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    I would be over the moon if I went on holiday and only came back 3 lbs heavier!!! I recently went away for 4 nights and gained 7lbs!!!

Don't worry too much, just carry on doing as you are and it will soon be off! Within a week my weight was back to normal & 7lbs was back off!
  • Aplmark
    Aplmark Posts: 49 Member
    Yeah, here's my suggestion...CHILL! You've made the right choices, changed your eating habits, remain active it will come off again relatively soon. Just maintain your healthy lifestyle.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    3 pounds of what?

3 pounds of fat? That would be 10500 calories over maintenance. Did you eat that much?

No? Water weight. Glycogen. Digestive contents, time of month, whatever.

Relax. You haven't destroyed your progress in only a week. You'll be back in no time.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    3 pounds of what?

3 pounds of fat? That would be 10500 calories over maintenance. Did you eat that much?

Relax. You haven't destroyed your progress in only a week. You'll be back in no time.

+1
  • WhoDat5o4
    WhoDat5o4 Posts: 50 Member
    you have to enjoy life. you don't eat/ exercise like that everyday- it's a vacation. once you go back to your routine, you'll be back to where you were.

i'm going to vegas in October... sorry MFP but you're not coming with me! :drinker:
  • laureltn
    laureltn Posts: 87 Member
    If you flew, for some reason that makes you retain water. You probably got a lot more sodium than your regular diet too -- more water. Good advice upstream. Chill, stay the course, avoid panic and it will come off.

Been in my maintenance range of 4 pounds for over a year. Went away for the long weekend and came back 3 pounds heavier than when I left. 2 of them decided to take a hike this morning and the last one will follow, I'm sure.

Congrats on getting to your goal and just try to remember big picture and you'll be fine. Diet vacations are great every now and then and make you actually appreciate healthy routine when you return!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Yes, it's water weight from salty restaurant food. Even the healthy options pack on the salt! Drink extra water for the next few days and you'll be fine. I'm dealing with the same thing right now, following the holiday weekend. Good luck!
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    3 pounds of what?

+1

+2
  • yourvendetta
    yourvendetta Posts: 4 Member
    i eat like a Rhino after i have started with cheat meals and they prolong to 1 week.Weighing 4 kgs more everytime. Its one heck of annoyance.But here it is the solution
    1) Start the same work out again that u were doing and dont check ur weight after u have started
    2)i started keeping fasts of 18 hours , since body had accumulated already enough calories to burn
    3) 2 sessions of cardio , 30 min each .
    4) 1 week and it was back to happy life.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    give it a week, drink lots of water, and just wait. The same thing happened to me and I ran 4 miles every day of my vacation in June. I just ate a little too much and more sweets than usual. It will come off!
  • Give yourself a break. You did a great job in losing the weight and had a slip up on vacation. Eating out all the time on vacation means eating salty foods a lot more than you did at home and probably accounts for most of the 3 lbs. Get back on the horse and keep riding. You learned how to eat properly and exercise and now after a week back home, I bet the 3 lbs will be gone. Don't worry and pat yourself on the back. You did a great job and for one, I am proud of you.
  • By the way, sometimes it takes a little longer amount of time for your body to readjust once you return from vacation. Don't worry. The 3 lbs plus, will be gone soon. :smile:
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    I suspect sodium. I gained around 10 pounds mostly from high sodium restaurant food. It went away after a week. You will be fine.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    i eat like a Rhino after i have started with cheat meals and they prolong to 1 week.Weighing 4 kgs more everytime. Its one heck of annoyance.But here it is the solution
    1) Start the same work out again that u were doing and dont check ur weight after u have started
    2)i started keeping fasts of 18 hours , since body had accumulated already enough calories to burn

Fasting and extra cardio are unnecessary. The whole point is to understand that your body isn't static, nor is your life. Vacation, eating out, unplanned events happen. Just go with it and relax. Beating yourself up creates an unhealthy psychological relationship with food. As was said prior, the increased weight isn't fat weight. Don't obsess over a number on the scale. Fluctuations are normal.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    It will just be glycogen stores replenishing. Always happens to me when I take a diet break and eat at maintenance for a while. Here's a nice explanation of what is happening:

http://www.justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/
  • usmcwifeb15
    usmcwifeb15 Posts: 470 Member
    Wow 3lbs that's actually great! I'm about to go on a 9 day vacation, on a cruise none the less and if I only gain 3lbs that would be amazing. Don't stress about it just keep working at it and it will come off.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Restaurant food is loaded with sodium, unbelievable amounts. Part of this weight gain could be bloat from this. Best lesson is don't be discouraged, move on, and return to the good habits. You'll be fine, so long as you get your healthy habits back.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    It's been five days? :indifferent:

And, do you expect to stay at the same weight or under for the rest of your life? That's a little obsessive. It's three pounds. Your weight is going to fluctuate and you can't expect to drop three pounds in 5 days, just like you couldn't expect that to happen when you were on your diet.

Also, you ate at restaurants, so who knows how much fat/sodium you really ate?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member

Fasting and extra cardio are unnecessary. The whole point is to understand that your body isn't static, nor is your life. Vacation, eating out, unplanned events happen. Just go with it and relax. Beating yourself up creates an unhealthy psychological relationship with food. As was said prior, the increased weight isn't fat weight. Don't obsess over a number on the scale. Fluctuations are normal.

Agreed with everything above.... I went to the OBX with the family last summer and got my workouts on the beach all week but had no intentions of not enjoying all the culinary cuisines that there was to partake in while I was on vacation... I came back home 7 pounds up on the scale, no sweat.... I had lost close to 300 lbs. by that time and knew exactly what need to be done to get the weight off so it was back to business as usual and within a few weeks everything was right as rain, I got the weight off and enjoyed one of our best family vacations ever!!! Don't fret things you know how to lose weight just get back to it.... Best of Luck