When your food scale flickers between numbers do you track...?

stegeem
stegeem Posts: 165 Member

When your food scale flickers between numbers do you track...? 5 votes

The higher number
80%
csplatttomcustombuilderstegeemMikemfirestone 4 votes
The lower number
20%
kims84301 1 vote

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member
    The higher number
    My scale doesn't flicker but if my scale did flicker I'd choose the higher number to be sure I'm not under counting that day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,782 Member
    My scale is set on grams. It doesn't waver very often, certainly not daily. When it wavers, it's a 1-gram difference. The most calorie-dense thing would be pure fat, at 9 calories per gram.

Honestly, I don't even spend much mental energy on deciding, for 9 calories, less than once a day. I'd probably log whichever number I noticed first, and let it go . . . but maybe it would depend on what mood I was in?

It's 9 calories. Or less, if not pure fat. Probably less often than once a day. Meh. It's not material. And I'm saying that as a fairly meticulous calorie counter.
  • stegeem
    stegeem Posts: 165 Member
    The higher number
    I wonder if it's better to pick the lower number because it means your body will get used to eating more calories over time instead of expecting less and will therefore burn more (does that even make sense?).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
    edited June 13
    If the scale flickers then there's usually my mobile phone nearby on the same worktop. I have no idea why, and this has not happened in every kitchen, but I had a few where I always had to place my phone on a different worktop, or in my pocket to prevent this from happening.

My current 100 EUR Ikea cupboard/worktop doesn't do this, more expensive ones in the past did.