“Smart” Scales and Data

Options
springlering62
springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
edited June 13 in Health and Weight Loss
So this is mildly interesting. I did a body pump class with my daughter, a few hours before a flight home Tuesday afternoon. She had me get on a real fancy body scan machine at the gym.

At home, I use a Renpho Bluetooth smart scale, which does a daily “scan”.

Just to show you how laughable both are, here’s Tuesday morning on the Volt scan, and Wednesday morning on the Renpho scale. Renpho is the handwritten numbers.
afq270bi5ait.jpeg

Percentages are wildly different between the two devices.

My Renpho scale also says my body fat is up .4% from 2018, at which point I was still about 65 pounds overweight and low activity. (I got no idea where the “47” lost is coming from. It’s considerably more, even though I bought the scale a month or two into the process of loss.)

heseowkdvmrm.jpeg

The Volt scan has also somehow magically measured my abdomen circumference at 29.6. Ya’ll, I can (and do!) comfortably wear 26” waistbands.

People get so wrapped up in what their “smart” scale says. They are not as smart as you think. .

Moral: don’t beat yourself up over some stupid electronic scale measurement.

(caveat- there was a four hour flight between the two scale readings, weight was almost identical but may be a small water weight fluctuation there. )

Replies

• springlering62
    Options
    I’ve got a DEXA scan prepaid, but I’m still carrying water weight from an accident a couple months ago. Waiting for the last of the swelling and inflammation to go down before I go get it. Will post those numbers here whenever it does.

🤬flying bike!!!!
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    All those things are a waste of time and money. The only people that benefit are the manufacturers
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,918 Member
    Options
    Great post.

It's unfortunate that so many of us trust the magical technological black-box numbers, and mistrust rather obvious real-life perceptions (like the waistband thing you mention, @springlering62).

It makes me think of the Arthur C. Clarke quote “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic”. We want magic; we like magic.
  • springlering62
    edited June 13
    Options
    Oh, another interesting thing, the Volt machine recommended 175-180gr a day of protein for me.

This has nothing to do with the fact that it also recommends 3 specific protein supplements right next to this recommendation. All three conveniently sold at the counter, mind you.

(I already shoot for 160-180. )