Fibromyalgia

Options
And fibromyalgia warriors on here want to be supportive friends? I would love to hear struggles, accomplishments, tips anything … I just need support. 🙂

Replies

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,146 Member
    Options
    I've had fibromyalgia for years. They say there's no cure, but I say I'm 100% cured 90% of the time and 90% cured 100% of the time. If you are patient and keep working at it, it can get better!
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and was diagnosed in 2019. Since then my weight has gone up and down. My ability to exercise has gone up and down. I've done a lot of experimenting in the last five years. More recently I have been working on addressing my GI issues, chronic joint and muscle pain, chronic fatigue, and sleep issues.

Here's what I have learned has helped me the most: weight loss for us is still a matter of calories in vs calories out. However, the issues with the gut have been the greatest obstacle to overcome. When my gut is distressed, I am tired, my body doesn't absorb nutrients properly, I tend to crave a lot of simple carbs, and i am really hungry, all of which can derail weight loss goals.

I had some success with doing the low Fodmap diet and tracking my food. The biggest changes came when I had my bloodwork done and addressed my nutrient deficiencies: Vitamin D, Iron, and B12. I also began taking a probiotic and eating foods that help feed positive gut bacteria like cassava. I have better energy because I have addressed nutrient goals and cut out inflammatory foods. I also purchased a sleep number bed to make sure I get adequate sleep. I do light exercise as I can and see a chiropractor to help with back and hip pain.

I probably now feel the best I've felt since getting this dx. I am also losing weight again. It took feeling really awful to finally start addressing my health, but now that I have worked out a lot of those problems things are going well.