Motivation

Options
Hello community how to stay motivated

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Motivation is not reliable.

It’s 100% up to you to make the choices that will help you achieve your goals.

That’s it. That’s the one and only trick here.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,348 Member
    Options
    Motivation isn't what made me lose 70+ lbs, motivation (in the sense of 'feeling like it' or raring to go) is a finite resource and unreliable.

If I only did things I 'felt like' doing, my life would be in a sorry state 🙂 I would have rotten teeth (I don't particularly 'feel like' brushing my teeth), no one would want to be near me (washing myself or my clothes isn't the most fun thing either), my kitchen would be full of dirty dishes, my house would stink of cat poo/pee, my possessions would have been repossessed (for not paying my bills) etc.

It's okay if life sometimes gets away from us, but I try to consider exercise or minding what I eat as a task like the ones mentioned above. It's okay to skip them occasionally, or perhaps put in a minimal effort instead of a good one from time to time.
    Some examples:
    - you could say that if its a hard day, you allow yourself the option of stopping your exercise after 15 minuten instead of the full session
    - you could allow yourself a maximum number of days (for example 2) in a row to skip exercise

You could also plan for hard days:
    - have some easy meals in the freezer/ fridge as a backup option when cooking seems like a giant effort or there isn't enough time
    - do food prep in the weekend if you are regularly too busy on week days
    - exercise in the morning if it's too hard to fit it in in the evening (or vice versa: do it in the evening if its tricky to fit in in the morning)
    - always have your workout clothes ready if you think having to collect them is an extra barrier in starting a workout.
    - aim for maintenance calories instead of your weight loss calorie goal on very hard days

It also helps if you keep your routine more or less enjoyable: exercise you enjoy doing, at a reasonable frequency (don't aim for 1 hour of exercise each and every day if you are just starting, for example); foods you enjoy, in a reasonable amount (not banning all the foods you like or having a very low calorie goal).
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    edited June 16
    Options
    @lietchi said if very well.

I’ve heard many people here say, just make it a habit you don’t think twice about, like brushing your teeth.

I only eat foods I enjoy, but less of them. I weigh and log carefully, even though I’ve been in maintenance several years. I know the minute I slack, the weight will pile back on and I’m never going back there.

I only do exercise I enjoy, but I’m willing to try new things. I started weightlifting (and I do not do heavy weights like “real” lifters) to build upper body strength for yoga, which I love. To my astonishment, I discovered I really enjoy weights.

It’s like what folks say: if you do what you love for work, work will always be something you love doing.

Same with exercise.

It takes a few weeks to create a habit, though, so just resolving to lose weight and exercise and then quitting after a week or two, that ain’t gonna get it.

I’d say resolution in the sense of “I’m gonna/I can do this” is waaaaaay more important than motivation.