Kid-Approved Dinners?

earlybirdlady
earlybirdlady Posts: 121 Member
I posted this elsewhere and got no replies so I’m thinking maybe it’s more appropriate here?

Parents - or others who prepare meals for kids of any age - what healthy meals do your kids like? I am always looking for ideas that can help me stay on track while also introducing my kids to nutritious meals. Cooking separate meals or alternatives for myself is getting tiresome…

One thing they do love is salmon. We serve it with some rice, avocado, and seaweed so they can make their own pseudo sushi rolls.

Would love to hear other ideas!

Replies

• Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 503 Member
    Hey- I replied elsewhere
  • Yougotthis2456
    Yougotthis2456 Posts: 2 Member
    Baked chicken, a favorite veggie (if there is such a thing for kids lol I usually let them decide which veggie for the night) and some rice on the side is always a good try!
    My go to is some baked chicken (or salmon), a veggie (normally carrots) and quartered potatoes because you can put it all in the oven! Super easy!
  • Yougotthis2456
    Yougotthis2456 Posts: 2 Member
    To add.. I also make tuna salad but not with tuna - I used the sardines in a can from Costco. It’s just the meat of the sardines and no bones or faces lol it’s much better, packed with proteins, and my little loves it with saltines.
  • earlybirdlady
    @Yougotthis2456 great ideas! I am curious about trying the sardines. I have one kid who likes trying new things and one who doesn’t, so this might be a great way to introduce a new protein.

How do you make your baked chicken? With seasonings or do you use any coating/breading?
  • earlybirdlady
    fajitas!
    I grill peppers and make homemade tortillas from flour salt warm water and butter here is the recipe I use for the tortillas https://www.inspiredtaste.net/48394/flour-tortillas/and I use chicken as the meat

For some reason the link took me to a cookie recipe but I found the tortilla recipe and I’m intrigued! This looks like it would be fun to get the kids involved too
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,187 Member
    My kids like thing separate (no casseroles / soups) and this works well with my calorie counting. So I’ll pick a protein, a starch, a veggie, some bread. My family will eat all of it but depending on the day, I may skip the bread. Or I’ll only have a half cup of the starch. Etc
  • earlybirdlady
    @csplatt this is exactly what I’m looking for. Some kind of structure that makes planning easy for me and for them. I struggle with limiting starch/carbs. Definitely my favorite nutrient haha

Thanks!
  • csplatt
    @csplatt this is exactly what I’m looking for. Some kind of structure that makes planning easy for me and for them. I struggle with limiting starch/carbs. Definitely my favorite nutrient haha

Thanks!

No problem! Tonight the separates at my house are: shredded chicken from the crock pot, a bowl of black beans, tortillas, a tub of guacamole, and sauteed peppers and onions. Different family members will do different things with it. My kids will probably just do cheese and chicken on tortillas. I'll do beans, chicken, peppers, and guac but skip the tortillas. Etc. Mix and match family dinners.
  • earlybirdlady
    @csplatt I prepped some shredded chicken for the week and I’m going to use it for bowls similar to what you described and also using some to top salads for work lunches. I haven’t done shredded chicken in a long time and it turned out so good, it’s going back in my rotation!
  • csplatt
    edited July 1
    @csplatt I prepped some shredded chicken for the week and I’m going to use it for bowls similar to what you described and also using some to top salads for work lunches. I haven’t done shredded chicken in a long time and it turned out so good, it’s going back in my rotation!

@earlybirdlady There are some easy ways to change the flavor of shredded chicken. To make a taco chicken, you can put it in the crock pot with salsa, fajita seasoning packet, and some chicken broth. To make a pesto-flavored chicken (goes good with rice), you can put it in the crock pot with a container of pesto (near the cream cheese and eggs at the store), a packet of dry ranch dressing mix, and chicken broth.
  • evileyefirefly
    evileyefirefly Posts: 303 Member
    I do a Lemon chicken and rice dish the kids love, Manicotti/stuffed shells with roast veggies, Honey chicken over rice, Breakfast burritos, Crepes (Fill with whatever you want).
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 272 Member
    My sons current favourite meal is smashed taco burgers.

I use a low carb tortilla for me (Regular for my son and husband), ground beef then topped with a light cheese, pickles and G hughes burger sauce.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 503 Member
    My son is 12 and learned to make orange chicken in the air fryer.
    The sauce is a very sweet, syrupy mess typical of American Chinese food.
    He'll usually eat 2 portions, which we're happy with since he exercises 13+ hours a week.