Anyone know of a low sodium vegetable broth?

Options
I really love soup, but I already eat way too much salt. I also don't have the money to buy vegetables just for the purposes of boiling them down into a homemade broth.

Does anyone know of any brand of store-bought vegetable soup broth that is low low low in sodium?

Replies

• dkginger
    dkginger Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live, Trader Joes Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Broth is excellent!
  • goshnames
    goshnames Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live, Trader Joes Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Broth is excellent!

Oh man, 140mg in a cup?! That's amazing. Unfortunately, I live in Canada = no Trader Joe's around here.

The lowest I've been able to find is 340mg/cup...which still seems high.
  • slynn906
    slynn906 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use Edward's & Sons veggie bouillon cubes. They're soft, not hard.
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Take an afternoon and make your own, then save it a freeze it for future use
  • Helenov
    Options
    Yes! We buy this in the organic aisle at the grocery store: http://hain-celestial.ca/en/OurBrands/Imagine/GardenNaturalBroths/LowSodiumOrganicVegetableBroth

[Edit] - and goshnames, I'm in Canada too, we get it at Loblaws and the Supercentre.
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I rely on RAPUNZEL Vegan Vegetable Bouillon. I use the no-salt added cubes. They are also soft. Good luck.
  • You don't have to buy vegetables just to make broth! Keep a gallon freezer bag in your freezer, and toss in bits of scrap vegetables you would otherwise throw out.

Cut the ends off an onion? In the baggy.

Peel a carrot, or have some that are about to turn? In the baggy.

Break off the white parts and leaves of celery? In the baggy.

When it's full, just dump the whole bag into a pot with whatever herbs you like (bay leaf is awesome!), cover with water, and let it simmer for at least an hour. You can do it overnight in a crock pot, too! I do this mostly for beef or chicken broth, but it can also be done for vegetable broth.

As to your actual question...er, no, I don't know of any good store-bought ones.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    i like this one, and i believe you can get it at walmart.

http://www.pacificfoods.com/food/broths-stocks/broths/organic-low-sodium-vegetable-broth
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can get the "Marigold Swiss Vegetable Boullion - reduced salt" (the purple tub) somewhere? That's my favourite!
    Looks like this: http://www.marigold-health-foods.com.au/images/bouillonReduced.jpg
    We have it here in the UK and it looks like it's sold in Australia as well, so maybe you'll be lucky in Canada...? :)

Either way, if you've got a health food shop nearby they might have some, or maybe you can find something in a large supermarket? (There are some mainstream brands that do reduced salt versions as well)
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    We order Vogue Cuisine Vegebase powdered broth from Amazon. 140 mg per serving. 1 t ==> 1 c.