Anyone have advice on what's worked to reverse menopausal weight gain?

Options
sedoniaguillone
sedoniaguillone Posts: 1 Member
edited June 17 in Health and Weight Loss
Hoping for tips and inspiration from others who are contending with the weight gain that creeps on during and after menopause, when our usual fitness and diet plans stop working. Thanks! 🙏

Answers

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    For me, being active keeps my metabolism high. I lost 55 lbs. at age 54-55 and have kept it off for the past 12 years. I walk the dog 2-3 miles every day, run 5 days a week, and bike or hike on one of my off days. I'm retired so have the time to do it, and the health to be able to do it. YMMV
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    For me, regulating my sleep and movement were key in stopping the slow slide of perimenopause.

My sleep was terrible, even if I wasn't having hot flashes. Since I was always dragging, my non-exercise movement decreased and my calorie intake increased since my body was looking for energy wherever it could get it.

I also had to become more deliberate about movement. Not only was I dragging because I was tired, I also came to the realization that I had a lot less "natural" movement in my life. When I thought about it, I used to have to take documents to 5 offices in three buildings to get signatures and submit a grant. Now I have an assistant that would do that, if it were still a thing. But the process is entirely electronic now, I don't even burn calories signing forms ;) . I work mostly from home and don't have the 10 minute walk each way to the car from my office. Little things, but they've added up to a different lifestyle than I had even 5 years ago.