This can't be right, can it?

Options
I am using a SportsLine HRM watch. Mainly because I didn't want to deal with things stuck to my chest and the band. I've used those before and found it very uncomfy.

So, Monday I did W1D1 of C25K. Using the pedometer portion of the watch, it said I did 3956 steps, burned 150 calories, and went 1.87 miles.

Today, same distance door to door, it said 2755 steps, 103 calories, 1.30 miles.

SO... how did my apartment door jump .57 miles????

L

Replies

• kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    Not sure so here is a BUMP
  • AndreeT
    AndreeT Posts: 191
    Options
    Hmmm...very weird. I highly doubt that your apartment door jumped .57 miles LOL! I'm going to check mine tonight. My HRM said that I had done 3.11 km in 30 mins. I'm not sure that I have a pedometer setting on mine but at least I can compare the km from monday night.

Well done!! :flowerforyou:
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks Andree. I'm wondering if I'm in some Harry Potter-esque land where doors move and lead to other places. If a big, hairy, burly giant comes blasting through the door, I'll let you know.
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    I believe that alot of those hrm's that don't use your heart rate (via the chest strap) use motion to "count" your steps taken & then estimate your calories burned. It could be that your stride was different, maybe you used a longer stride this time? Or maybe you didn't swing your arms nearly as much.
    While the chest strap heart rate monitors may not be as comfy as wearing a wrist watch they do detact your pulse & are able to estimate your calories burned more accurately. I find my Polar F6 to be just fine to wear during my workouts & while I'm working out I hardly even know it's there! I'll agree with you that once my workout is over, I can't wait to take it off though!
    I'm interested to hear what others think/say about this topic as well.

Good luck to you on your journey!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I had a SportsLine HRM and about two weeks after getting it would stop taking a reading 15 min. into a workout. Then it would start taking readings when I wasn't wearing it. I even had the thing reset and it would still take weird readings. Not a good HRM. Sorry to hear that you have problems too.
  • AndreeT
    AndreeT Posts: 191
    Options
    Thanks Andree. I'm wondering if I'm in some Harry Potter-esque land where doors move and lead to other places. If a big, hairy, burly giant comes blasting through the door, I'll let you know.

HAHAHA!!! Ok...keep me posted!
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    Go here: http://www.mapmyrun.com/ and map the route you took, if you want to make sure that either number is right. I wish I had some idea for you, but I haven't got a HRM yet. :-(
  • justahorsen
    justahorsen Posts: 234
    Options
    I have a Polar HRM with a chest strap and it doesn't bother me to wear it, it isn't any tighter or confining than my sports bra. It has been a great aid for me, since I log EVERYTHING on spreadsheets (LOL).
    I had a small pedometer, but since it wasn't accurate I finally gave up on it. Maybe you will have to make the same circuit several times and keep track to see if it will "even out".
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Did you input your average stride lenght into the pedometer? I noticed a similar difference a number of times with mine, but thinking back, I was actually taking fewer steps but with a slightly longer stride on some occasions, and on other occasions (when walking at very quick pace) my stride was shorter
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    okay I went to mapmyrun and that put 1 lap at .99 miles, which would be 1.98 for 2 laps. Given variations in my plotting skills and cutting a corner here or there, Monday's distance would be more correct. I look for the stride thing. My intention was just to use it as a guide, just wasn't expecting such a difference.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have tried Sportsline Pedometers 2 times and both times I gave up because they were both totally unrealistic. It says to determine your stride length, walk for 10 steps and measure distance and then divide distance by 10 (steps).. mine came out to 27 inches. I input the values as told to and then thought "lets check this out" and test it by strapping it on and rewalking same 10 steps. I ended up in same spot as I when I walked first time but the pedometer said I just took 52 steps. Repeat test and now I walked 83 steps. So now, I use the Polar F6 and go strictly by calories .. not distance. If I wanted to measure distance, I would simply upgrade my Polar HRM. I can't say enough good things about it.. well worth the investment.
  • Stella_Does
    Options
    I think these things just tend not to be the most accurate or reliable way of working out steps/distance and calories unfortunately.

Have you tried any of the HRM's that us a "comfort" band/chest strap?

One like this http://www.heartmonitors.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/p/o/polar_wearlink_coded_transmitter_5.jpg

Rather than the older style
    http://www.burkescycles.co.nz/mm5/graphics/p/polar_T31_coded_large.jpg