...crazy sushi calories!

Options
So I had shrimp tempura rolls for dinner tonight from a local restaurant. It was only six pieces with only the shrimp on the inside. No avocado, no mayo no nothing! I used this link as a guide:

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-wegmans-shrimp-tempura-roll-sushi-i93957

which meant 220 calories for 140 grams. however I only ate 124g...

However most other sites I read say approximately 500 calories for the roll!!! how can this be? I know it's fried and probably not the healthiest option but 500 calories for 6 small, measly pieces? lol

What do you other tempura roll lovers say??

Replies

• eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Many tempura rolls also have mayo in them where I live; it may be that the other sites are calculating ingredients you didn't eat? It does seem a little high, but tempura is a fried batter, and something I often find oily so I'm not sure. Perhaps log somewhere in the middle?
  • ewarlow
    ewarlow Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I own a sushi restaurant and as I love the food - I made my own calculations on my favourite rolls..

Tempura prawns are fried - hense the calorie load, that and the rice add up quite quickly. Obiously if there is avocado or mayo those add a lot to the total as well. I make my own when I eat and use much less rice than our typical standard, have the tempura prawn and figure the calories are approximately 360/roll (8 pcs). This is with no mayo.. straight fish would be less calories, or crab - anything not fried
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Just stick with traditional nigiri sushi or sashimi.. try not to get those fusion ones like "dragon", "rainbow" that are full of cals.. those aren't really sushi.
  • karahunts
    karahunts Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    thanks guys...I decided to just let that slide lol..I 'll stick to the sashimi and nigiri!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    While awesome, nigiri is also calorically dense, which is no surprise.

Sashimi though... high five.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Well they do contain quite a bit of rice so that's where most of your calories are coming from (1 cup of cooked rice is about 200 cal). The majority of sushi rolls are around 300 calories but it depends on the ingredients of course. The place I go to that does tempura rolls also includes a sauce and roe (salmon eggs) so the calories are naturally going to be higher. Some rolls also include sesame seeds which are a calorie dense food.