Summer smoothie

Nocito1
Nocito1 Posts: 4 Member
I have purslane that comes up in my vegetable garden every year. It is a delicious super food most consider a weed.
Today I made a purslane superfood smoothie
1 bunch purslane
1 banana
1 cup any frozen berry you like
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
Coconut water 8 ounces
If you need to sweeten you can add a touch of honey

Enjoy ❤️

Replies

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,069 Member
    I have put purslane in my salads, but never in a smoothie. Will have to try it. Thanks!
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 503 Member
    Do you eat the stems?
  • earlybirdlady
    earlybirdlady Posts: 121 Member
    I love purslane!! And same I have never tried in a smoothie. It’s also very good in a stew or cooked with onions and garlic.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,152 Member
    edited July 2
    It has a lot of oxalates, which can be problematic for many people and most other animals in the wild and I would maybe look at a little research on purslane before calling it a "superfood" which is basically a made up moniker for marketing purposes and one I would never use to describe any food. imo
  • earlybirdlady
    earlybirdlady Posts: 121 Member
    It has a lot of oxalates, which can be problematic for many people and most other animals in the wild and I would maybe look at a little research on purslane before calling it a "superfood" which is basically a made up moniker for marketing purposes and one I would never use to describe any food. imo

That is good to know. I know people with kidney disease need to avoid leafy greens and other foods high in oxalates, but I don’t know that purslane is any more problematic than any others for people with kidney issues. I think it takes very high amounts to be dangerous. I grew up eating it in a lot of ethnic dishes and it’s delicious. I certainly wouldn’t discourage people from trying it unless they have specific dietary restrictions related to a health condition like kidney disease or kidney stones.