Over 50 & Menopause Mission: Lose it! (July, 2024)

Jadecarpet
Jadecarpet Posts: 28 Member
Anyone & All welcome to join me...
I'm starting (again!) this journey at 221lbs.
I'm 52 & need to hit between 145 & 140lbs.
My goal? If I only lose 6lbs or 8lbs for July, I cannot regain any of that weight & must strive for a minimum of 4lbs each month thereafter.
I'm going to be joining the local council gym as soon as my next payday arrives.
BUT I will be taking daily walks one way or another because I have to. I've a large hairy sap who loves running of his surplus energy.
So, dog walkers, I know we have slack days too, where we're hardly able to put one for infront of the other but we have to. ;)
I'm a mom of 3 & a demanding job. I'm hoping that other ladies who have wobbles in the wrong places join. We can have a moan, help encourage & share the love.
Here goes 🙏🧘🏻‍♀️❤️❤️❤️

Replies

• Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 461 Member
    I'm in for a whine and inspiration. I'm 53 in a few weeks, 188 pounds, just saw my doctor to make sure all is good. I walk daily and have recently started the weight machines at the gym twice a week.
  • Jadecarpet
    Aww! Well done. You're going to beat me to the gym 🏋️‍♀️ How're you finding the weight machines? Or have you used them before?
    I used them a good number of years ago now. But looking forward to getting stuck in again within the next fortnight. Especially looking forward to getting back in the pool. It's been way too long.
    I'll keep watching for your progress.
    * What is your goal?
    * And what spurred you forward? Occasion?
    I've between 80 to 85lbs to lose. Just purely fed up of having way too much "body" & extra skin. Not to mention the extra effort moving up and down stairs.
    Plus, I'm scared of having a heart-attack, or a stroke either. With 3 children (18,15 & 12) about, it's be nice to be here & hold my grandkids at some point later on 🫠❤️
    Bedtime for me now. It's 10pm here (Wigan, UK - since 2016) for me. Trying to follow set bedtimes. Only menopause has not been playing ball.
    How're you coping with the symptoms?
    Or have you even started?
  • kite16509
    kite16509 Posts: 16 Member
    Hello,

I am 59 and I’ve been in menopause since 2019. I am somewhere around 245 pounds and want to get back to 180.

I have had vertical sleeve gastrectomy in 2014 and I regained 60 pounds. It’s all bad eating habits that I’m trying to reverse.

I have a couple of exercise machines at home and I’m so out of shape that three minutes is about all I can do right now. But that’s up from one minute.

I had a tummy tuck surgery in 2019 that changed my life drastically for the worst. It has caused continual daily pain. And the more weight I gain the worse it is.

I am losing weight to try to mitigate the pain from the surgery. And regain my mobility and flexibility.
  • Jadecarpet
    edited July 9
    Kite16509.. that's dreadful, what you've been going through. Hopefully here we can support each other.
    I don't know about you, but I find setting smaller weight targets easier. Instead of setting the whole 65lbs as one big target, start with 10lbs. When you've that lost, get a manicure for yourself or go to a movie.
    That may help. What foods did they tell you to eat after the operation? And what are you doing food wise at the moment?
    To stop the pain, you HAVE to lose the weight. From what I understand from your msg.

Menopause totally messes with my head. And has messed with my rear-end, my appetite, sleep & my memory too! I look in the mirror & all I see is an old woman.
    Plus I don't like this getting old business. I'm still 20 something inside my head but feel 90!

I've cut out all sugar foods: cakes, sweets, icecream etc. I've cut out all white carbs: bread, wraps, pasta etc.
    I've increased fruit & vegetables. That's not really a big ask for me. I love fruit & veg. Cooked brown rice, I only put a teacup (not pressed in!) on my plate with my dinner. No processed meats! No bacon, burgers (except homemade) No processed meals!
    I am craving chocolate since Saturday. So I'm going to get 80/85% dark chocolate. Freeze 5 squares & give my kids the rest. I'll eat one after work tomorrow. Hopefully that will help with the craving.
    It's almost 3:30am, so if better try again, getting some of that elusive sleep!
    Keep posting how you're doing!
    😘❤️🤸🏻‍♀️🤸🏻‍♀️
  • kite16509
    kite16509 Posts: 16 Member
    After bariatric surgery, we are supposed to eat predominantly protein. But mostly we a cut out the junk food and after my tummy tuck surgery, I just stopped eating right. I stopped caring. I ate bread, cookies, cake, ice cream, all of that and I really shoved it in.

I felt like after my divorce/separation. I didn’t want anybody to tell me what to do.

So I’ve gone back to basics with concentrating on the protein and vegetables. Limiting treats and not drinking until a half an hour after the meal. Not drinking with the meal. They say that that helps create a feeling of fullness.

But I guess mostly I have to realize that continuing to give in to Candy mentality is not gonna help me in the long run. Reese cups are not gonna help me meet my goals. And they’re not gonna help my hips stop hurting from the excess weight.