Why is it bad to weigh-in on a daily basis?

2»

Answers

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I read on Google that research showed daily weighing managed to keep weight off more.
    I weigh daily but need to get used to the daily fluctuations.I put on 1 lb in one day!

Three (or sometimes more) pounds in a day (up or down) isn't that uncommon for me. Averaging helps with that.

In reality the way your clothes fit tells you more than the scale. Weigh as often as you like however it won’t speed up weightloss regardless of the weighing frequency.

Don’t obsess with the scale.

I think if you use the scale as a tool, it can optimize (or speed up as you say) the weight loss process. By using the information that the scale provides, you can take steps to prevent things from going sideways when they start to. I agree that how clothes fit can be another metric. If you tend to wear very baggy clothes, I would suggest that regular (daily) weighing and looking at seven to ten-day averages will give you the best data. You can't manage what you don't measure, and the scale provides a measurement. Using a tape to take body measurements is also a great way to get data, but that is a much slower process. Scale weight is a point-in-time bit of data. It's pretty powerful really.
    Yes the scale is a great tool however too many people put too much faith in it as the be all end all word on their progress or lack of it. I use it as a long term gauge however there are many factors to consider, muscle mass being one. 180 lbs in a period where you have been doing a lot of weight training will be a vastly different 180 lbs in a period where you haven't been able to train for awhile.

If you are in a period where you're doing a lot of weight training and were 180 pounds and didn't weigh for a fair amount of time and next time you did you were 190, perhaps you were adding more non-muscle mass than you planned. Had you been paying attention, you could keep that in mind as you continued your weight training so that you didn't bulk more than intended. It is still a useful tool. You just need to recognize what it does for you. You can use a hammer to put a screw into a piece of wood. It's not the right tool, but that doesn't mean the hammer isn't actually a good tool for its intended purpose.
    lol, wut?

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,966 Member
    I read on Google that research showed daily weighing managed to keep weight off more.
    I weigh daily but need to get used to the daily fluctuations.I put on 1 lb in one day!

Three (or sometimes more) pounds in a day (up or down) isn't that uncommon for me. Averaging helps with that.

In reality the way your clothes fit tells you more than the scale. Weigh as often as you like however it won’t speed up weightloss regardless of the weighing frequency.

I think if you use the scale as a tool, it can optimize (or speed up as you say) the weight loss process. By using the information that the scale provides, you can take steps to prevent things from going sideways when they start to. I agree that how clothes fit can be another metric. If you tend to wear very baggy clothes, I would suggest that regular (daily) weighing and looking at seven to ten-day averages will give you the best data. You can't manage what you don't measure, and the scale provides a measurement. Using a tape to take body measurements is also a great way to get data, but that is a much slower process. Scale weight is a point-in-time bit of data. It's pretty powerful really.
    Yes the scale is a great tool however too many people put too much faith in it as the be all end all word on their progress or lack of it. I use it as a long term gauge however there are many factors to consider, muscle mass being one. 180 lbs in a period where you have been doing a lot of weight training will be a vastly different 180 lbs in a period where you haven't been able to train for awhile.

If you are in a period where you're doing a lot of weight training and were 180 pounds and didn't weigh for a fair amount of time and next time you did you were 190, perhaps you were adding more non-muscle mass than you planned. Had you been paying attention, you could keep that in mind as you continued your weight training so that you didn't bulk more than intended. It is still a useful tool. You just need to recognize what it does for you. You can use a hammer to put a screw into a piece of wood. It's not the right tool, but that doesn't mean the hammer isn't actually a good tool for its intended purpose.
    lol, wut?

Scale can still be a valuable tool even when you are weight training.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member

lol, wut?

Scale can still be a valuable tool even when you are weight training.
    yes of course

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,050 Member
    It's not bad - unless you have some issues with it.
    I prefer daily weigh-ins tracked in a trend-app (Libra in my case). Let's me see body patterns, and allows me to better get an idea of what is normal or just a fluke. Daily allows me to not freak out about a random, high weigh in if I see that things return to normal after awhile. Can see tiny trends shifting in the wrong direction rather than getting stuck on one data point.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,230 Member
    Not good or bad

Its a 'whatever works for you' scenario.
  • Karlo7428
    Karlo7428 Posts: 22 Member
    I use an app called Happy Scale. It shows predictions what you can expect in the next 7 days but you can adjust your expected predictions.
    There are also factors when weighing everyday why you see numbers fluctuating from day to day!
    Look at the long term trend to see if it’s going down.

Wishing you better health on your journey 😊.