Nutrition facts.

To get the proper nutrition facts from my meal, do I weigh the food raw or cooked?

Answers

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
    I'd chose raw because cooking of various things absorbs water, or you lose water. The weight changes with cooking while the calories, with the exception of fat in meat stay the same.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,725 Member
    To add to Yirara's comment: make sure to use raw food entries when weighing raw and cooked food entries when weighing cooked.
    For example: there 's a big difference in calories between 100gr of cooked versus uncooked rice.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    To add to Yirara's comment: make sure to use raw food entries when weighing raw and cooked food entries when weighing cooked.
    For example: there 's a big difference in calories between 100gr of cooked versus uncooked rice.

Yes, totally true. The raw entries tend to be more precise for raw food than the cooked ones for cooked food as duration of cooking, temperature, way of preparing adds much more uncertainty.

Carby foods such as rice, pasta, couscous usually come in at around 350-360 calories per 100gr dry and uncooked. Fresh pasta has different numbers.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 507 Member
    Meat= cooked
    Everything else= raw