Please critique my deadlift form take 2...

Options

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhat of a novice, so from a novice's perspective, it looks pretty good. There are some experienced folks who may find some subtle things to critique. But I don't think there's any glaring issues with it.

What I'm not sure about are the lengths of time between reps? I don't know if they are too long? Or perhaps you were just spacing them out in order to make them easier to critique? Either way, I don't think it's a big deal.

Nice wjob! Hope you find continued success and benefit from them and other strength training work.
  • MattUFCP90X
    Options
    Yeah not bad at all. always strive for more chest out and arch in your back. Remember there are two ways to do the dead lift as well. Keep up the good work and effort!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Notice your butt rises first, then your shoulders rise later. That puts your spine in a bent-over position, which is very risky. Force yourself to have your butt & shoulders rise at the exact same pace. Also don't let your head slide forward.
    Reduce the weight 50% and practice sets of 5-10 reps until good form becomes automatic. Good luck.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Your first attempt looks great. Second attempt, it appears that you fall forward a bit and trying to lift from your toes. Keep your weight back and drive your heels through the floor. That should help keep your weight back and keep your butt from coming up before the rest of your body.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Hips are coming up first then upper body. Try this without weight:

Get an old broomstick handle and have it centered down your back by tying (or strapping it) to your torso and chest. Now if done correctly, that broomstick should stay in contact with your shoulders and butt through the whole movement. If it doesn't, then somewhere, you're "rounding" out (whether in the mid or lower back). Again just try it without weight to feel the motion.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Feet could be a bit wider apart, helps with being stable.
    Your leaning slighting forward as you lift, should pulling the bar to your shins and dragging it up tight against them.
    Lift more with your Hamstrings and Butt. Think about more like a squat in leg motion.
    The weight looks a tad heavy for your form.
  • Moto_Woody
    Options
    Good effort for sure.

I'm with Cherimoose, I think the weight it just a tad too heavy. I would lower it some until you can get perfect form as all the others have stated.

Also, it's just me, but I wouldn't stop between each rep. I don't think it's matters though to be honest. I just get setup before I start (which you appear to do also), and then I lift. Stopping means I get to do that again.

Again, you are awesome for even doing dead lifts.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    your hips come up first because you are starting with them too low,

I would also get slightly closer to the bar on your set up and keep your shins more vertical this will stop the bar drifting forward like it does on the second rep.

This video sums this up perfectly I would strongly suggest you watch it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3EMnj-9Ky0
  • tntate786
    Options
    You are doing well actually. Back is straight which is the main thing. My only suggestions would be to look down as lift. This helps the keep the neck, and the rest of your spine in a neutral position. Also, try to squeeze your shoulder blades together, this helps to keep your chest up. It is hard to tell from the angle of the video but make sure that when you start the lift( at the bottom) that your knees are going out, to the right and left, this gets your legs out of the way of your hips.

For credibility's sake: I can deadlift 485 lbs. so I do kinda know what I'm talking about.