Foods hard to give up, is it okay to eat in moderation?

13»

Replies

• I chose two of my favorite foods of all time and decided to give them up forever, those specifically were pizza and hamburgers, everything else I will eat in moderation, though I treat bread more like dessert.
  • txguard61
    txguard61 Posts: 51 Member
    I take one day a week and just go for it. I am disciplined enough to get back on track the next day. It works for me...you gotta find what works for you. One problem for me was I did not really understand the word "moderation". I thought it was like 1 time a day....turns out for me that didn't work at all, even while marathon training. Once I figured out what my "moderation" was, i started losing about a lb a week.

I had to learn to tell myself "it tastes good"....not "this is so good". Most things that taste super good have been processed and modified with god knows what to super flavor them. Not super good for your health or weight.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    I've tried many times to lose weight by cutting out "bad" foods, especially sweets and chocolate. I always ended up feeling deprived and craving those foods to the point that I'd give up and eat everything in sight.

This time around I only gave up things that I know I can live without for the rest of my life. You know the only thing I gave up is soda. I have cut back greatly on eating out but everything else (most days) I eat in moderation and fit it in my calorie budget. No, that's not to say I haven't had days where I've said "screw it, I'm eating what I want" and there haven't been family gatherings and celebrations where I know I've eaten more than I should, but those days are a part of life. I just start back logging the next day and go on. I also never feel guilty on the days I go over. Again, they're a part of life. One of the quotes I love is "If you fall off the wagon, run along side till you can jump back on."

I do avoid one trigger food because as much as I try, I can't eat just one and those are Krispy Kreme donuts. I'll still have one every now and again but only if I pick it up at one of our businesses and take it back to my office. If the box is at the office, I won't have one. Anyway, that's just me.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    No reason to give up any of the foods you enjoy just tackle the mental side of this journey and learn that these foods can be enjoyed in moderation. This will set you up on a sustainable path..... Just make sure you are hitting your caloric intake goals and hit your nutrient goals..... It has worked pretty well for me so far...... Best of

Take a look at the number on Ed's ticker. 3-1-2. You just heard from Master Yoda there. What more info is needed?
  • aldale
    aldale Posts: 118 Member
    I eat and log my favorite foods often. Because I watch sodium levels I have had to start making some of my favorites from scratch, but I still have the foods I love. I would completely give up if I could not have burgers, fries, and cookies. Life would not be as enjoyable!
  • sjiphone
    sjiphone Posts: 67 Member
    Yes. It's OK to eat "bad" food in moderation. I eat candy everyday. I just make sure to track it in my diary and keep within my goal calories. Go for it.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    now that i have gone 3 months on MFP, and i have better control over food addiction that i had, i think i might enjoy a slice of pizza saturday.. i am kinda scared to play around with eating too many foods that got me here in the first place.. but i might take a chance..

i think i am ok enough to try. wish me luck. its a bit scarey... i hope i dont start going back to my old ways that got me fat.

but i think i will be brave and take a chance.

this is what it is like to venture back out and eat a treat,,, its pretty scarey, coz i am doing so well ,, i dont want to screw it up.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    It's all portion control. As long as your within your calories enjoy the foods that you like. I have found that if I try to cut things out completely I end up binge eating them at some point.
    I still eat the things I love, just not as much.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    My biggest hurdle so far is cutting back on the foods I love to eat like pasta, pizza, cheessteaks, etc. Somehow I feel like I should give them up completely. Should I give up the foods I love or is it okay to eat them in moderation?

I eat things like hot dogs, pizza and burgers less often than I had before. Is what I'm doing so far a good thing?

Eating them less often is good. Making yourself miserable by feeling like you can never eat them is not good. You are on the right track.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    The problem with moderation is there is no guideline or definition of what makes a moderate amount.

Like one chocolate bar daily is moderate? How about a twinkie every two days.
    Using a macro diet I could survive on pop tarts and still log my macros.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    It's all portion control. As long as your within your calories enjoy the foods that you like. I have found that if I try to cut things out completely I end up binge eating them at some point.
    I still eat the things I love, just not as much.
    I also stay away from buffets as I have learned that I can't handle them
  • rcadogs
    rcadogs Posts: 23 Member
    One of the things I decided to give up completely was Hot Pockets because of so much sodium in two pockets! I try to avoid any foods that's over 1,000 grams of sodium, I don't want to go over my daily sodium intake.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    The problem with moderation is there is no guideline or definition of what makes a moderate amount.

Like one chocolate bar daily is moderate? How about a twinkie every two days.
    Using a macro diet I could survive on pop tarts and still log my macros.

That is ridiculous. "Moderation" is what fits into your calories and macro/micro/fiber goals.