Heart health

jenn688
jenn688 Posts: 21 Member
edited July 7 in Health and Weight Loss
Good morning!
Is anyone else here dealing with cardiac concerns? Has anyone experienced reversal or improvement of said concerns with weight loss? I want to know all about it. I'm 43, have hypertension, high triglycerides, etc etc, and AWFUL genetics lol. I've begun seeing a cardiologist, which I guess is a step in the right direction, however I feel a bit scared and unsure. I smoked in my 20s, drink more than I probably should, and have been ALL OVER the weight spectrum, many times due to disordered eating, including bulimia. I used to work out religiously, but have become much more sedentary with a job change. I'm ready for permanent change. I know this is all a lot, but my weight and health journey is complicated, full of poor choices, and bad coping skills. I'm too young for heart failure. I want to see a glimmer of hope that I can control this! Even if you aren't dealing with cardiac issues, share with me if you have found weight loss success past 40. It seems very overwhelming right now.
Thanks in advance to anyone who shares any stories, tips, motivation :)

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,332 Member
    edited July 7 Answer ✓
    Both my parents had heart problems. My dad died in his thirties of a heart attack. My mom had a heart attack at age 50. Both of them drank and smoked, and my mom was obese.

I'm 70 now. :) No heart attacks!

Best thing(s) you can do is listen to your cardiogists, get exercise, eat your vegetables, and maintain a healthy weight. Obviously if you drink alcohol or smoke, those are not heart-healthy activities. :flowerforyou:
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member
    edited July 7 Answer ✓
    Losing weight and exercising are 2 of the best things you can do to lower BP.
  • jenn688
    edited July 7
    @cmriverside that is truly eye-opening. I smoke in my 20s, but haven't in years. I do drink quite a bit more than I should, but this recent concern has really given me the kick in the pants I need.

@tomcustombuilder absolutely. I used to run religiously, but I definitely can't do that now. I'm hopeful that walking and weight training is enough.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,784 Member
    edited July 7
    jenn688 wrote: »
    @cmriverside that is truly eye-opening. I smoke in my 20s, but haven't in years. I do drink quite a bit more than I should, but this recent concern has really given me the kick in the pants I need.

@tomcustombuilder absolutely. I used to run religiously, but I definitely can't do that now. I'm hopeful that walking and weight training is enough.

Walking and weight training is good. As you do more of each, and as you lose weight, it's likely that your fitness will improve. As it does, you should be able to add somewhat more intense exercise into the mix. That can be beneficial, but going too extreme too soon isn't beneficial.

It's always good - from a fitness perspective - to have a good dose of low-intensity cardio in the mix. I'd note that the definition of "low intensity" is likely to change as you get fitter, of course. Once reasonable base cardiovascular fitness is in place, that's the time to consider whether adding lower amounts of higher intensity work would be useful and enjoyable.

Personally, my blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglycerides all went from high to solidly normal as I lost weight, and have stayed in a good range for around 8 years of maintenance since. AFAIK, I don't have familial hypercholesterolemia, but my dad did have a somewhat mysterious heart issue that was never clearly diagnosed (despite extensive testing), and died of a heart attack (at 87).

People with familial hypercholesterolemia may need more medical interventions, but reaching a healthy weight, eating a well-rounded nutritious diet, and getting exercise can all help. Alcohol for sure can negatively affect triglyceride and cholesterol levels.

Improvement is possible!
  • cmriverside
    edited July 7
    To moderators: This isn't an identical thread...ignore me!
  • cmriverside
    edited July 7
    There are some other answers in your other thread
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10919553/heart-health

I posted in your other thread too, but not about weight loss. I lost 80ish pounds at age 54-55.

You can absolutely lose the weight.

Just start. Log your food.

If you're having trouble coming up with a plan, why not ask your doctor for a referral to a Dietician and/or Mental Health? Sounds like there's more going on here - and I know you're scared. Sometimes it just requires a little help from a professional.
  • jenn688
    There are some other answers in your other thread
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10919553/heart-health

I posted in your other thread too, but not about weight loss. I lost 80ish pounds at age 54-55.

You can absolutely lose the weight.

Just start. Log your food.

If you're having trouble coming up with a plan, why not ask your doctor for a referral to a Dietician and/or Mental Health? Sounds like there's more going on here - and I know you're scared. Sometimes it just requires a little help from a professional.

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. Huge congratulations on your loss! That is truly inspiring.
  • cmriverside
    You're welcome, jenn. I hope you start to relax a little, though. All any of us can do is move forward and make changes.

Sometimes I get into spirals of worry, too. There are a lot of online resources to help with problematic thinking. I really like a female therapist on YouTube who has a channel called "Therapy In A Nutshell." she has a lot of 10-15 minute long videos and she has a really soothing manner and voice. She's super gentle and I've gotten a lot of good coping ideas from her. Maybe listen to a couple of her things that seem relevant.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member
    jenn688 wrote: »

walking and weight training is a great combo. Running is unnecessary