5 week weight prediction - can you take an average of each day as a more accurate prediction?

I understand each day is different usually so can you take an average of each day as a more accurate prediction of weight? Im on week 3 and tracking each day so ill report back if this actually makes sense. But please share your thoughts.

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    That can work fine, absolutely - assuming you're talking about averaging each day's weight to get an average for the week, or something like that. (In the unlikely event that you're weighing many times per day, and averaging those . . . well, I'd have reservations about that.)

I use a weight trending app, and input my daily weight (taken first thing in the morning, after bathroom, before eating/drinking, same state of (un)dress). These apps use a statistical formula to try to estimate the trend of our weight changes, sort of reducing the influence of day to day fluctuations (water weight and waste in the digestive tract).

They're not a magic crystal ball - they can be wrong sometimes. But I find it useful, as long as one knows the limitations.

There is Libra for Android (the one I use), Happy Scale for Apple/iOS, Trendweight (requires a free Fitbit account, but don't need a device), Weightgrapher, and probably others.

Some people here do average their daily weights during a week, pick their lowest or highest weight of the week to count, choose an official weigh-in day to count even if they weigh daily, or some variation. Others set up their own spreadsheet with whatever averaging or analysis formula(s) they like.

Before I used Libra, I used to put a dot every day on graph paper inside my linen closet door: Date on the X axis, pounds on the Y axis. That made the trend more visible to me, too.

What you're proposing seems fine, if it's easy and helpful for you.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,187 Member
    I never try to predict or estimate what SHOULD be happening on the scale. If I lose too fast, I add calories. If I lose to slow, I cut them. Rinse and repeat.
  • blackpinkinbayarea
    blackpinkinbayarea Posts: 29 Member
    I struggle with the 5 week predictions because they are never correct. I started using MFP 6 weeks ago, and when I started I was 132 lbs (5'9 F) but my prediction kept saying every day that I would weigh 112 lbs in 5 weeks. Well last week was the 5 week mark and I was 126.7 lbs. This week I'm 129.3. It's not correct and shouldn't be taken too seriously. It's just an estimate based on how many calories you consume&burn but it doesn't take into consideration the actual food you're eating, how many nutrients you're getting, and the amount of calories you "burn" may be over/underestimated.
    Hope this helps!