Fruit is making me go over on my sugars

Options
2»

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    yes, natural sugar is still sugar... so although you have more health benefits from the nutrition and fiber... we can't just substitute one addiction of junk sugar with too much fruit sugar... so... keep in mind... MODERATION...

You may want to consider... biting the bullet and going fruit free. you will go through withdrawals... but then... you can slowly introduce a more controlled amount into your daily diet...

Good Luck! It sure is not easy

LOL NO

OP: It sounds like fruits are helping you moderate your calorie intake. Unless you have other health issues (like diabetes), just make sure your macros are in line and enjoy your fruits.

I've been reading some about 'Macros' but sounds like I need to research and learn

Start by reading the posts I linked to and getting that incorporated into what you're doing. Don't be afraid to take baby steps in this. None of us started out with a perfect diet and exercise program and you shouldn't expect yourself to be any different, or make the mistake of holding yourself up to a perfect standard. Be kind and forgiving to yourself but pushy at the same. If you screw up, let it go, just get right back on it the next meal or day. The trick is sticking to it over the long haul. I'm not alone in saying that I'm happy to help and that the ETP group is a great place to start.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Going over on sugar isn't a bad thing I am vegan I go over in one meal lol If it is helping you kick unhealthier habits then great you will not get fat eating fruit ( if you don't believe me go google fruitarians yes they exist) make sure you do drink enough water when you eat a lot of fruit though all that fiber without water is not a happy tummy.

Yes. Google Steve Jobs and pancreatic cancer while you are at it. Eating any food to the exclusion of a well balanced diet is not exactly a good idea.

Are you implying Steve Jobs got cancer because of his diet? I thought your view was you can't get cancer from food, or is this diet the exception?

I will say though that you are not the only one to speculate on the frutarian diet putting too much stress on the pancreas which could have led to or contributed to him getting cancer. Interesting observation considering the source: http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/kdaniel/2012/12/31/veganthink-dr-john-mcdougall-explains-the-death-of-steve-jobs/

It's possible. Sad whatever caused it, that's for sure.
  • wlbrown0766
    Options
    yes, natural sugar is still sugar... so although you have more health benefits from the nutrition and fiber... we can't just substitute one addiction of junk sugar with too much fruit sugar... so... keep in mind... MODERATION...

You may want to consider... biting the bullet and going fruit free. you will go through withdrawals... but then... you can slowly introduce a more controlled amount into your daily diet...

Good Luck! It sure is not easy

LOL NO

OP: It sounds like fruits are helping you moderate your calorie intake. Unless you have other health issues (like diabetes), just make sure your macros are in line and enjoy your fruits.

I've been reading some about 'Macros' but sounds like I need to research and learn

Start by reading the posts I linked to and getting that incorporated into what you're doing. Don't be afraid to take baby steps in this. None of us started out with a perfect diet and exercise program and you shouldn't expect yourself to be any different, or make the mistake of holding yourself up to a perfect standard. Be kind and forgiving to yourself but pushy at the same. If you screw up, let it go, just get right back on it the next meal or day. The trick is sticking to it over the long haul. I'm not alone in saying that I'm happy to help and that the ETP group is a great place to start.

awesome...thanks!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Going over on sugar isn't a bad thing I am vegan I go over in one meal lol If it is helping you kick unhealthier habits then great you will not get fat eating fruit ( if you don't believe me go google fruitarians yes they exist) make sure you do drink enough water when you eat a lot of fruit though all that fiber without water is not a happy tummy.

Yes. Google Steve Jobs and pancreatic cancer while you are at it. Eating any food to the exclusion of a well balanced diet is not exactly a good idea.

Yup too much of a bad thing is def a bad thing but they go crazy over board with it I am just pointing out that's all they eat and a lot of it and are not fat

If you are discussing such a diet in terms of demonstrating the principle of calories in versus calories out, which it, along with approaches such as the Twinkie diet, does demonstrate, it is still important to note that such an approach is not healthy. Nor does it exactly help with body recomposition.

Yup that is what i was getting at you eat 100 cals of any thing its still 100 cals
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I a tryin to follow the everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial line of thought here. May not be expressing it well lol
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Are you implying Steve Jobs got cancer because of his diet? I thought your view was you can't get cancer from food, or is this diet the exception?

I will say though that you are not the only one to speculate on the frutarian diet putting too much stress on the pancreas which could have led to or contributed to him getting cancer. Interesting observation considering the source: http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/kdaniel/2012/12/31/veganthink-dr-john-mcdougall-explains-the-death-of-steve-jobs/

It's possible. Sad whatever caused it, that's for sure.

My understanding is that the specific causes of pancreatic cancer are still a bit of a mystery. That said, adhering to a diet such as this which is known to cause issues with the pancreas wouldn't be expected to help. At the very least, I think it is wise to consider it, along with Ashton Kutcher's attempt to follow this diet, a cautionary tale.

As for my views on cancer, I'm pretty sure that I haven't completely voiced them on MFP. Suffice it to say that while certain cancers have been linked to diet, cancer as a whole is an incredibly complex subject and to attribute it generally to diet and nutrition alone would be premature at best, particularly when research continues to reveal other factors such as genetic and even viral links.
  • eddycaa
    eddycaa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You should consider the 21 sugar detox. I'm on day 3 and am starting to feel really good. Check out my diary and you'll see how much good stuff I get to eat but still stay under on sugar.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    nevermind.
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Question of the day, since you are diabetic. Are you having difficulty controlling your insulin and blood sugar levels with the fruit or just with the tracking on MFP?
  • wlbrown0766
    Options
    Question of the day, since you are diabetic. Are you having difficulty controlling your insulin and blood sugar levels with the fruit or just with the tracking on MFP?

I have to be honest, I don't test my sugar daily like most, I don't like it and I don't like being a slave to it. Right or wrong it's how I feel about it. I've heard the lectures over and over and over and over again from friends and family, but I'm a grown man and it's the decision I've made. My doctor tests my A1C every 3 moths and that will just have to suffice. Since I've learned that I am type2 I've been able to bring my A1C down from 9 initially to keeping it at around 6.3 - 6.5 and last time was 5.4. So I would have to say the improvement is probably a mix of eating less refined sugar products, losing weight, being more active, and taking one dose of Metformin a day. My doctor is ok with progress so far and doesn't hound me about the testing..she knows I don't stick..so hopefully we can keep on this good track.