Does anyone else have problems with your feet when walking?

nighthawk584
nighthawk584 Posts: 2,023 Member
Walking outdoors is part of my exercise regimen along with biking, lifting weights... but my feet and ankles are killing me after each walk. i warm up, i stretch, but after the 4-5 mile walk, I can barely make it up and down my stairs because of the pain. I've lost around 30 lbs which is 1/2 my goal. any suggestions that helps your feet and ankles besides never walking again?!

Answers

• CanadaGracie
    CanadaGracie Posts: 22 Member
    Do you know if your feet are flat, neutral or high-arched? I have completely flat feet and overpronate (ankles bend in) and I buy Dr Scholls insoles on Amazon. I also have prescription orthotics but honestly the Dr Scholls are just as good. They help with shock absorption but also with appropriate arch support. Check out their website and it will help you find the right insoles for you. You want the supportive insoles, not just the odor eaters or massaging insoles.
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 88 Member
    Try some inserts geared toward your feet. Can get different types at running stores, REI, etc. you don’t need to buy very expensive ones that are custom made.
  • nighthawk584
    edited July 10
    COGypsy wrote: »
    What kind of shoes are you wearing? How old are they? Sounds like it could be a matter of support more than stretching.

I have tried 2 different shoes. Sketcher's (new but broken in), New Balance (broken in...these are most comfortable of the two)

I'm puttin some Dr S's inserts in the New Balance today to see if that helps. My other problem is tendon problem on top of right foot. that causes a lot of the pain too when walking long distance.

Thanks everyone!
  • nighthawk584
    Do you know if your feet are flat, neutral or high-arched? I have completely flat feet and overpronate (ankles bend in) and I buy Dr Scholls insoles on Amazon. I also have prescription orthotics but honestly the Dr Scholls are just as good. They help with shock absorption but also with appropriate arch support. Check out their website and it will help you find the right insoles for you. You want the supportive insoles, not just the odor eaters or massaging insoles.

My arch is neutral. I'm giving some Dr S inserts a try today, see if that helps.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    I'd second the medical route, if it's that severe.

But as another potential easy intervention:

If you have a good athletic shoe store near you that does gait assessments, and haven't taken advantage, do that. That can help with getting the most suitable shoes/inserts.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited July 16
    What @AnnPT77 says

I was in a lot of pain, even lost a big toenail walking. Someone suggested a pro running store. They did a gait analysis and made several suggestions, including going for shoes with large toe box and going up a half or whole size.

The brought out about ten pair of recommended shoe styles that suited my pronating tendency for me to try and I bought two.

What a difference!!!!!

I go every year or so now to get fitted and buy a pair for their trouble. Then I go on Amazon and get the same shoe, but in last year’s color, sometimes for 1/3 the price.

I’m a serious sweater, so I now rotate about nine pairs so I always have one dry and comfy, even if I do a couple of activities a day and need to change shoes. Excessive, maybe, but what cost comfort?!

The other thing that helped tremendously is an ankle compression sock. Designed for plantar fasciitis, but helpful anytime a foot or ankle feels tweaky. I seldom use them now but did yesterday. Aaaaah, bliss.

Oh and a third suggestion. Balega brand socks will rock your world. They are eyewateringly expensive (again, I buy last year’s colors when I have the chance) but worth every dadblames penny. They are thick and cushy and mine have lasted for nearly six years with little to no thinning and little sign of wear, unlike my el cheapo Hanes type cotton socks. I wash them with leggings and air dry them, though.
  • nighthawk584
    thanks for suggestions. I changed the socks to extra padded ones and it seems to help a lot. I think a lot of the problem for me was going from couch potato with zero exercise back to full steam ahead workouts. My feet and ankles still ache but not nearly as bad as a few weeks ago. every day the pain is a little better and I am up to 5 mile walks at a 3.5 mph average on all kinds of terrain.

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,187 Member
    My feet swell a little when I exercise and I buy my shoes half a size big. My feet would hurt some before I did that but mostly they tingled.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 393 Member
    Sounds like a shoe issue to me.

I am in need of a new pair soon too, but I can tell the difference. FWIW, I like the Brooks brand. I used to be team Nike, but not for walking anymore.
  • katrina6823
    katrina6823 Posts: 70 Member
    I had so much trouble with my feet, anytime I had a day with a big step count I'd be hobbling. I recently bought a pair of brooks and my God my life has changed 😅 currently on holiday doing 18k steps and finishing the day with zero discomfort. Was worth every $ I may buy another pair 🤣🤣