Healing Plantar Fasciitis

Hi! Anybody here suffered from Plantar Fasciitis and gotten rid of it? I would assume that mine probably came from a cross of wearing bad footwear, being super active and overweight. I have lost 25 lbs and haven’t noticed any improvement. I have also started wearing better shoes and haven’t been active because I broke my foot a few months ago and am still in recovery. Any tips?🙏🙏

Replies

• Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 443 Member
    It takes time! I gained 5kg back when I had it because I relied on walking so much. It made me address issues with my diet and find ways to exercise that didn't rely on walking though which I guess I needed to do. I don't walk anywhere near as much as I used to though. Make sure you do the exercises you've been given, it all helps. There are some good you tubes on recovery too which are worth looking up. Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    Your plantar tendon is tight in the middle so it has to be stretched EVERYDAY and often. There a lots of stretching exercises on YOUTUBE to do it and you HAVE TO BE CONSISTENT with them for it to recover.
    Also try wearing inserts. Once I change my shoes, stretched everyday and wore inserts, it eventually went away. Also, start training your calves a little to improve the strength in your achilles tendon.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,069 Member
    My long dormant PF recently flared up after almost a decade. I can't blame it on ill fitting footware since I spend most of these days in slides and Skechers. If anything, I have neglected regular exercise lately and my leg muscles have probably lost some ground. Inserts have been provided me the most relief.
  • boberg1239
    boberg1239 Posts: 25 Member
    I suffered from Plantar Fasciitis in both feet. I saw a podiatrist who treated me with cortisone injections to decrease the inflammation and taught me foot and calf stretching exercises to stretch out the fascia. I have not had pain in years and years now. I also continue my stretching exercises occasionally and only wear footwear with arch supports and cushioning. If it is truly bothering you, I strongly encourage you to see a podiatrist. The injections can be quite painful for about 20 seconds, then the pain goes away and in about 48 hours your feet feel so much better.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,331 Member
    Orthotics helped me a lot. I also stretch my calves and heels most nights on a posture board to get a good deep stretch. I'm out of town for a week and I can already tell the difference. It also helps sometimes to lace my fingers through my toes and do foot circles, that's more when I've had a heavy walking day though.
  • Woof1958
    Woof1958 Posts: 1 Member
    I wore Crocs most of the time and they really have helped with mine. They're not bonny but they're certainly comfy.
  • NeedToLoseWeight2000
    NeedToLoseWeight2000 Posts: 25 Member
    Thanks to everyone for your helpful responses! Has anyone tried and had success with a night splint? For those that went the exercise route, how long of consistent stretching did it take to notice a difference? Is that something that you need to continue for life?
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 443 Member
    I would say to find ways of making some of the stretches a habit by putting them into your daily routine -like when you're waiting for the kettle to boil or when cleaning your teeth or sat at a desk. But it took a few weeks for me..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    Thanks to everyone for your helpful responses! Has anyone tried and had success with a night splint? For those that went the exercise route, how long of consistent stretching did it take to notice a difference? Is that something that you need to continue for life?
    For life yes, but to a lesser degree. As we age, our tendons seem to just tighten up on their own. I've been flexible pretty much my whole life, but even with stretching, I can't do the splits anymore where when I was younger, it was possible.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SBarn59
    SBarn59 Posts: 1 Member
    Stretching and try taping your foot, you can find you tube videos on that. Taping helped tremendously for me