Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

First favorite meals???

2»

Replies

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,452 Member
    Reading this again brought up more memories. We were so lucky. Not rich, but had a cow and chickens in the back yard, so fresh milk daily. A housefull of night owl kids. Mom and dad woke us up on school mornings by hollering up the stairs "milk's here". We raced to get the first glass with the most cream! Dad picked the fattest, best looking calf to butcher. We always had chicken and eggs, cream and butter.
    We lived near a town that was originally settled by Germans from near the Swiss border, so they traditionally cooked with lots of cream, sour cream, butter. My favorites! Love their green bean soup, tomato soup, (German, not Russian) borscht, verenica(cottage cheese and egg dumplings, usually served with kielbasa or similar), schnetka(similar to pie crust, but made with cream, cinnamon roll type bars).
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,326 Member
    @Corina1143 My mom used to put milk and sugar in rice. Is that an Oklahoma thing?:D

Nope. My grandmother and I used to have that for breakfast and she lived her entire life in Texas.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,326 Member
    Most of my early cooking efforts were Hamburger Helper and Tuna Helper type stuff, so not sure I had a "favorite" food at home. Once I learned more about seasoning meat, I was pretty fond of taco night. I did love my grandmother's fried chicken, fried okra, and banana pudding. My other grandmother made homemade sauerkraut that cannot be replicated apparently. She'd also cook it with diced apple and apple juice. I use those in sauteed cabbage still today.
  • Corina1143
    There was a well-loved restaurant here in OKC that made barrels of sauerkraut and added just a little applesauce. Not enough you really tasted it, but it made it so good!
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 906 Member
    One of my fav meals growing up was chicken/tuna noodle casserole. Midwest --- my gma also made like...SWEET sweet tea all the time.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,023 Member
    From the Midwest, grew up in the 60s/70s

My Mom was the best cook in the world as far as I was concerned. If she made TOAST , it was the best toast ever! We didn't have much money growing up but we always had full bellies. She would improv most meals to make it go the furthest. Lots of casseroles. Some of my favorites were; beef stroganoff, chicken and dumplings, taco salads, goulash, frosted cake brownies, spaghetti with the best homemade sauce ever, chili and cinnamon rolls.
  • Corina1143
    edited August 8
    A favorite food memory from childhood.
    Mom would make chocolate cake on Saturday for Sunday dinner. Dad would sneak in the kitchen when mom took the cake layers out to cool. He'd slice off the top, slather it with butter and share it with us kids.
    Sunday cake got shorter and shorter. Mom finally started baking it in 3 layers. 2 for Sunday dinner. One for us to eat hot on Saturday.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,893 Member
    @westrich20940 I would complain all the time to my boss at the restaurant I worked at in Oklahoma about not having a sweet tea option! I don't know about now, but when I was there everyone would add the sugar after it was cold..an abomination!🤣