Does Skyr container lactose?

The macros are really good however im lactose intolerant and not sure wether this will upset me.

Answers

• herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 400 Member
    There are many different varieties but most are made from cows milk and that definitely has lactose. They make a plant based variety made from coconut milk. Can you take a lactaid supplement before eating the yogurt? Does that help with symptoms?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,784 Member
    edited July 16
    Mostly not lactose free, but varies by brand, IMU, depending on whether they've added an enzyme that breaks down lactose, or strained out most of it (which might matter depending on whether you're fully lactose intolerant or just sensitive). Thor's Skyr is advertised as lactose free, for example, but its distribution is limited. I don't know about others.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited July 16
    I may be wrong on this. Research it yourself. Not lactose intolerant so haven’t paid much attention, so this is kind of all over the place.

When I was making homemade kefir, the book I was using indicated that the fermentation process ate up most the lactose, and that kefir was suitable for the lactose intolerant.

Skyr is technically a cheese because it uses rennet in the fermentation process which yogurt does not. Rennet is supposed to break down lactose.

I make my own skyr every week (I can make a couple of quarts or more per gallon of skim milk used for a fraction the cost of commercial skyr and we eat a LOT of skyr.) it’s very easy to do- just involves washing strainers. A good quality strainer washes up easily. A bad one is an utter and absolute PITA to wash.

Most the lactose is in the whey. When you make skyr you can drain off most of the whey if you let it strain longer.

I add some back before I blend it, but it’s not necessary to do so, you’ll just have a thicker skyr.

Just as a random thought. I have a smaller strainer that I use for a tub of plain Greek yogurt. I strain the whey off for a couple of days, mix it with a couple eggs, some vanilla, an tsp granulated sucralose, and diced fruit. Then I bake it. It makes a delicious - and crazy low cal/high protein- cheesecake. Since you’ve strained off most the whey, this might even be an option.

Super strained Greek yogurt is also called labneh. A quick google shows that labneh may be safe for those who are la rose intolerant. Labneh also makes a great dip, or a substitute for Philly cheese spread.