Fresh milled grains

1baseballmom
1baseballmom Posts: 2 Member
Has anyone made and logged recipes milling their own wheat berries? I’m getting into milling my own grains for flour and am wondering how to log it. Thanks!

Answers

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Weigh the flour and log it as flour. If you know what kind of wheat berries you have (hard red winter, soft white, etc.), and obviously you should know whether you're doing something to filter out the bran or you're using the whole grain, you should be able to find a flour entry that's an exact match. But wheat flours only vary from about 8% to 14% protein, so if you don't know or can't find an exact match, it doesn't seem like it should make a whole lot of difference if you just use AP or whole grain flour, depending on what you're doing with those berries.

TL;DR: there's nothing magical about your home-milled flour, at least when it comes to nutrition. It's ground wheat, just like the flour you find in the grocery store aisle.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Following. I have some wheat and have bought a mill. Working up to starting to mill my own in about September (full slate of other activity until then). Seeing what others have done intrigues me. I have both hard winter red and durham wheat, looking to expand my breadmaking and begin other grain products such as bulgur and pasta.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    I went to a baking class/presentation here from a family owned quasi-religious bread making store. They claimed milling your own flour cured everything from heartache to heart disease, prevented cancer etc. I think it was the wife who had an advanced degree in some kind of related scientific study.

Their take on the benefits of fresh milled grains was pretty interesting, particularly the parallels with the “rise” (🤣) of store brought bread to increase in various illness. But then again, along with that came vehicle emissions, chemicals in food, pesticides, all kinds of goodies.

Their class made baking look astonishingly easy. She was whipping out and serving several kinds of quick bread to the audience. I’ve got a friend who is milling and baking now, and just found out she’s keeping beehives, too.

Clearly, no one’s getting rich over there and it’s a labor of love and sharing of something that apparently brings them much joy, so I don’t question the motivations as much as I would some presentations. They just like their bread, and their health. much like me proselytizing for CICO. 😻
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited July 16
    Btw, if you’re going through that much trouble to kill and bake, consider churning your own butter. It’s crazy easy, and the leftover buttermilk is so useful for baking.

I have the small mason jar with hand crank churn. When we go out to dinner and ask “what can we bring?” the answer is always “a loaf of your bread and some homemade butter!”