How long until tracking became routine?

Hey everyone!
I’m just wondering how long you tracked before it seemed less like a chore? I lost 60 lbs before using this app and I remember getting into a good routine, but I can’t remember how long it took to reach that point.
I maintained my weight loss before for a few years but after a baby and 2 out of state moves, weight slowly crept up. I feel like I am in a good place to commit, but oof, I forgot how brutal that first stretch can be

Answers

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member
    Ive tracked every day for 20 years, it just ends up being part of your day like brushing your teeth or something.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,557 Member
    Probably a few weeks - 2 months. It became easier when my frequently used foods were populated. I also rotate my meals with not that many options (purely because I get used to cooking the same things) and that makes it easier too i.e. I make fish pie the same way each time, veggies stir fry is similar, I have recipes for things like protein pancakes etc. stick with it, it will become a habit quickly.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,557 Member
    Tracking became routine with the introduction of GPS technology in the late 20th century, transforming navigation, logistics, and personal devices within a few decades.

What?

She's talking about tracking her food.

Her lunch doesn't need to know its location...and its destination is her mouth.
    🤣 most of my food doesn’t move fast enough to need tracking, except for the fresh veg from the garden my dog ran off with yesterday.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
    Tracking became routine with the introduction of GPS technology in the late 20th century, transforming navigation, logistics, and personal devices within a few decades.

What?

She's talking about tracking her food.

Her lunch doesn't need to know its location...and its destination is her mouth.

Someone testing an AI bot?

Anyway, if TO is hunting her food then having wild animals with gps trackers or airtags or whatnot might be a thing.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 503 Member
    Students of behavior say it takes 3 weeks to form a new habit.
    Like anything, you need to plan the time to spend on the task.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,784 Member
    Seems like maybe a month-ish? It was a long time ago (July 2015), so I don't really remember.

IMO, there are two aspects to the tracking feeling somewhat burdensome:

1. The habit change per se: Changing any habits is hard. Changing ones central to our lifestyle is harder.
    2. There's a learning curve. Until a person learns to use the tools efficiently (scale, app, etc.), it does take more time . . . and because it's confusing, it feels like more time than it is.

That's on top of any issues with changing eating habits at the same time.

I don't track every single day anymore, in year 8 of maintenance. But I agree with others above: It's a routine thing like taking showers or going out to get my mail, not entertaining, but useful, so I just do it.

Unlike toothbrushing (which I do every single day), I'm not stressed if I skip a day of logging now, either because I'm particularly busy, out of normal routine (like traveling), or I ate things that would be a total wild guess. (I'm comfortable that it's the majority of my days that create the majority of my results.) But I tracked like it was religion all during loss and for quite a few months into maintenance.