I am obsessed

Hello everyone I have had a terrible experience with food. I grew up as a Mexican and the plate should be empty when I eat food.
But I saw people don’t eat because they are hungry they eat because they need to. I think it’s a good idea. I need to implement it.

Replies

• Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 503 Member
    g2k6dpypylys.png
    You could get one of these portion-plates and still follow that method
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited July 19
    I'm Irish. When I grew up I had to be a member of the "clean plate club" because "children were starving in Africa."

This wasn't a problem growing up, as portions of calorie dense foods were small and portions of vegetables were large, plus I was a very active child.

If I were to do this with restaurant food it would be a disaster. And I no longer ride a bike to tennis lessons :lol:

I still eat calorie dense foods like pizza, but now instead of a half pizza, I have one piece, about 100 grams, with a large salad, that includes cottage cheese for a protein bump.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,784 Member
    Hello everyone I have had a terrible experience with food. I grew up as a Mexican and the plate should be empty when I eat food.
    But I saw people don’t eat because they are hungry they eat because they need to. I think it’s a good idea. I need to implement it.

I think we can work with that kind of background. My parents didn't want me wasting food, either.

At home, you can control how much food is on your plate, right? Plate the right amount, and eat it all. (You might even choose to use a smaller plate, so it looks more full - tricks like that kinda work on me.) If you're the cook, cook the right amount in the first place, whether that's enough for just one meal, or enough for now plus some portions to be eaten in future meals. Make a plan, follow it - no waste.

At restaurants, you can ask for a box right up front, and box up the extra amount of your meal to eat tomorrow: That's cost-effective, so smart! Two (or more) meals! Then you can eat everything that's left on your plate.

Maybe some people eat just because they need to. I'm not in their heads, so I don't know.

Personally, I enjoy eating. It took me too many decades, but eventually I figured out that if eat the right amount now of filling food I enjoy, I can feel full and happy . . . and I will be at a healthy weight a few years down the road, too, which will make future me happier than I was when I was obese. Balancing current-me's happiness with future-me's happiness works pretty well, for me. (I'm in year 8 of maintaining a healthy weight after about 30 years of overweight/obesity. So far, so good. ;) ) YMMV.

Think about what's the right mindset for you. Personalization of tactics is a key success factor, IMO. Best wishes: The results are worth the work!