Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Thoughts on KIND bars?

I find them to be high in sugar. Something about them particularly hikes my blood sugar to the roof. What do you guys think? What are your favourite energy and/or protein bars?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,122 Member
    Well yeah, about half the total carbs are sugars and a few have more than enough to spike insulin. Keep in mind these health bars are at best sugary snacks with a good pitch and advertising campaign like any other food that sits on a shelf in pretty package with just another great story to tell. Just my opinion and when it comes to processed yummy food many people get hangry, lol.
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 499 Member
    I agree. KIND bars are too sugar-y. When I have one, I want to eat three.

My favorite protein bars are Barebells, they have a pretty good balance of protein (20gs) carbs and fat.

200 calories.

I eat them when I have a craving for a candy bar,
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,825 Member
    When I crave a candy bar I eat a candy bar at around 110-120 calories. I plan for it in my calorie budget.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    I'm pretty much with Yirara. I'd rather get my nutrition from food, and maybe have a small but good-quality chocolate or something like that for a treat. (As an aside, I don't struggle with blood sugar spikes - at least not when eating something like that. Maybe if I ate a giant piece of over-sugared cake or something I would . . . but yuck.)

I rarely use protein bars or the like: I don't typically find them tasty enough or nutrient-dense enough for the calories. That's a subjective assessment, so YMMV and that's valid.

One exception: In the summer, I tend to keep some mini Kind bars around. If I'm going out for a long bike ride, I often put one of those and an individual bag of crispy broad beans in my bike bag. If I feel hungry or depleted late in the ride, I'll eat one or the other or both. (Leaning to the Kind mini if I want a carb boost, the beans if I've been sweating a lot so salt sounds nice.) Either one has enough nutrition in that context that I think they're functional, they're tasty enough, and they hold up pretty will in the bike bag on hot days (chocolates melt). But that's just me.

Other than that small seasonal niche use, I don't use protein or energy bars. Instead, I'd choose fruit (including no-sugar-added dried fruit) for energy, something like hard-boiled eggs, Greek yogurt, or calorie-efficient cheese for protein. (NB I'm vegetarian, that's why no meat. Meat would be a good protein snack otherwise.)
  • blackpinkinbayarea
    blackpinkinbayarea Posts: 29 Member
    Boycott KIND
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,086 Member
    The only time I eat those things is if I'm on a road trip. Then those bars are a go to while driving. They are not meant to be a daily staple.
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 499 Member
    edited July 19
    Sometimes I find myself in situations where I'm going to go for hours without "real food". Like recently, I had four back-to-back clients in the middle of the day (11:00 AM to 3 PM). A Bareball bar kept me from crashing. I don't eat protein bars regularly, but I like to keep a couple on hand.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,169 Member
    Any sort of bar like that in my opinion is for a mega hike situation. Not for breakfast or snack, etc. They are too close to a candy bar.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,452 Member
    Kind bars are way too sweet. I like Larabars cause I love almonds and fruit. I cut them in half. 100 calories worth is very filling to me.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,069 Member
    Pure Protein Bars are my fave. 180 cals, low low sugar and 20g of protein. I only buy them for travel, emergency packs and long work days.
  • edwhite0310
    edwhite0310 Posts: 2 Member
    I'll usually go for a protein bar if I'm out of the house as long as it fits my macros. They're probably optimal pre workout.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 491 Member
    Fitcrunch bars. Delicious.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,270 Member
    edited July 23
    If they’re bothering you, back off.

I had severe stomach distress after a few days of eating One bars. The artificial sweetener they used tore me up.

Solution- I found something else to snack on.

Stomach pain immediately gone.

There’s so many other good, tasty bars out there, as well as fruit, etc.

I keep a small handful of Chimes ginger chews in my gym bag, in case I’m flagging between workouts. 15 calories, stick one under my tongue and I’m good to go. Useful this morning when my husband was wombly after aquafit. A couple were enough to tide him over til he could get home and make a quick sandwich.

Man, a friend gave me a box of Turkish delight Saturday. I had three or four before bedtime and was absolutely wired all night and couldn’t sleep. Stupid me didn’t take my own advice, and finished them off yesterday. Because…… Turkish Delight. . A particular weakness. 😵‍💫

Some foods, or even particular brands of some foods, just don’t always agree with us for whatever reason.
  • dbgfitness
    dbgfitness Posts: 12 Member
    I used to eat a few different brands of energy bars, but not anymore. It may be good for a long-distance runner who burns tons of calories as it provides a quick boost of carbs and sugars. Not for everyday nutrition IMHO.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,326 Member
    I like to keep the KIND mini bars in my desk at the office. I'm bad at remembering to eat lunch, so if (when) I get loopy and shaky, they're a good snack to hold me over. For me they're great because I like them just fine, but not so much that they're tempting if I'm not actually hungry.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 906 Member
    I like KIND bars and eat them often as a snack in my office. I log it in my calorie budget and move on. I don't have any medical issues to worry about though -