Switch grams to ounces in food logging?

How do I get rid of the stupid metric system and switch grams to ounces in food logging?

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,784 Member
    By choosing entries in the food database that include ounces in the serving size drop-down list.

Many entries that default to grams will have ounces in the drop-down. Once you log in ounces, the food goes in your recent/frequent foods, and as long as you keep eating it semi-frequently, it'll stay there, and the setting will stay on ounces. Some foods also have ounces as the default.

Do be careful about ounces (weight) vs. fluid ounces, though, because the database is crowd-sourced, and some people don't enter the right kind of ounces, unfortunately. (One flaw of the imperial system is that both a weight measure and a volume measure have close to the same name!)

Personally, even though I'm in the US where we don't use the metric system, I prefer to use grams to log food. Because grams are more fine-grained (there are about 28 of them in an ounce), because I can set my food scale to grams, and because most US food labels also have grams information, that works well for me. My scale will show grams, but only tenths of ounces. 28ths of ounces is more precision than tenths of ounces. I like that.

I'm not saying you should do likewise, but I am encouraging you to think about the whole situation.